[SOLVED] how to disable ssh and/or use unencrypted sync?

• As I transfer data over a VPN and rysnc runs by default on ssh, a double encryption is an overkill and adds tons of overhead that could be used by goodput instead.

What would you suggest to do to have rsync running an unencrypted communication?

I guess changing the ssh with something else would do but I'm just asking as I've never done this before.

Appreciated!
    rs232

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you enable rsync server? I use it for local backups and it doesn't use ssh. Example command:

Code
    rsync -avr /home/aaron/files rsync://backup/daily

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• sorry I should have explained a bit better :)

I use my "old but effective" rsync script, no client server communication here.

Bash
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/rsync -ratP --filter="merge 36k-213w-rsync-filters" --safe-links /mnt/raid5/* 10.10.9.4:/mnt/raid5/

The reason being: I really like the portability of these as they need to be set on one side only. An to be totally fair I wrote them when I was still using FREENAS7, moved them to FREENAS8, NAS4FREE and finally OMV, as they say in Malasya: sama sama (same same) :) I guess the syntax 10.10.9.4:/mnt/raid5/ implies ssh and ASAIK ssh doesn't allow unencrypted communication. I read up in internet and found different answers like for example rsh or initrd as remote shell to have unencrypted communication, but I'm not sure how this works so I'm asking here.

Thanks!

• Found!

Code
    --rsh=/usr/bin/rsh

p.s. encryptions in general adds an overhead of 12-15%, using rsh makes it unencrypted thus insecure but in this specific scenario (VPN based transfer) it works wonderfully.
    I now get much higher throughput

HTH

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!