Docker Plex Guide Missing Parameter

• Hi, there seems to be a problem with flvinny521's Docker Plex guide from this post. I'm referring only to the Plex guide since that's the only one I installed in my OMV system.

The Plex guide states:

One great feature about the Linuxserver Plex container is that once you log in using your Plex credentials the first time, the container will find the newest version of the Plex Media Server software for which you're eligible (Plex Pass vs. free user) and automatically upgrade it when you restart the container.

However, it didn't work on my system. I'm new to Docker, but it seems that the actual steps in updating the Linuxserver Plex container is to:

• Pull the latest image from OMV > Services > Docker UI > search for linuxserver/plex. Now, the latest TAG is on this newly downloaded image.
    • Restart the container

After restarting the Plex container, I checked the docker logs and found this message:

Update routine will not run because you haven't set the VERSION variable or you opted out of updates.

Indeed, the Docker Plex guide didn't say anything about the VERSION parameter. The Linuxserver Plex Hub noted it on its Docker Hub page:

Zitat

Note about updates, if there is no value set for the VERSION variable, then no updates will take place.

So my solution was to stop the container, run a backup of my Plex database (in case something goes wrong), modify my existing container and add an Environment Variable:

• Name: VERSION
    • Value: latest

Then I clicked on Save. Fortunately, nothing was lost. Nonetheless, I have a backup of my Plex db in case it reverted to the default settings.

The container automatically started and the update was initiated, like so:

Only then was I allowed to delete the old Linuxserver Plex image from the Docker UI.

I'm thankful to flvinny521 and I hope the guide gets updated.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!