Docker, Plugin or DEB for Emby Server

• Howdy-doo-doo,

Looking @ installing Emby and I know there is a plugin via OMV-Extras but is it better to install Emby via Docker as I have seen a few posts saying that it is better to do this as you will get the most up-to-date releases and its just better overall if so as I'm very new to Docker how does it work and could someone explain how I would go about installing Emby via Docker as I have never used it before (I'm assuiming I D/L Docker via OMV-Extras?).

EDIT: Okay so I believe there is potentially 3 ways to install Emby Server either via the OMV plugin, docker or DEB package file (backend) - So which one would be better? - Auto updates, etc.

/Ky

• Offizieller Beitrag

I vote for the docker route.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah after a bit of reserch I found that the plugin dosen't work anymore so it's either Docker or offical deb package, I'm leaning towards the deb package - any pro's or con's?

The emby/embyserver docker is official as well. So, I would imagine both are going to work well. I lean toward docker due to the number of packages (mono) that need to be installed. If these are contained in a docker, you know you are getting the correct versions and they aren't bloating your stable OMV box :)

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The emby/embyserver docker is official as well. So, I would imagine both are going to work well. I lean toward docker due to the number of packages (mono) that need to be installed. If these are contained in a docker, you know you are getting the correct versions and they aren't bloating your stable OMV box :)

Now you've got me leaning towards the Docker way as I hat having a messy install haha, I thought that by running the dpkg remove command it would clean everything up.

• Now i need to know if I can use the terminal to install Emby adding the flatpack repo to OMV repository without broke anything.

I'm going to setup a new dedicated server this weekend and i need to know if i going to use OMV to handle Emby and SMB or if is better install a Debian server to run SMB and Emby.

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not familiar with the flatpak repo, but if it is 100% Debian 9 repo, and not an Ubuntu, or Mint, or whatever repo.. it *should* be fine.

Is there a particular reason you don't want to use the Emby docker? I'm not a particular fan of Emby (although it's way better than Plex), but I've set it up in Docker before and it's more or less brain dead simple if you follow the video tutorial linked above.

• I'm not familiar with the flatpak repo, but if it is 100% Debian 9 repo, and not an Ubuntu, or Mint, or whatever repo.. it *should* be fine.

Is there a particular reason you don't want to use the Emby docker? I'm not a particular fan of Emby (although it's way better than Plex), but I've set it up in Docker before and it's more or less brain dead simple if you follow the video tutorial linked above.

Thank you very much for the reply. I'm really in that dilemma, I do not know if it's better to use the docker or take advantage of the new repo flatpak from debian / Ubuntu / any Debian-based. Flatpack is a -standard * of repositories that was adopted even by Fedora.
    I ask the question because I do not know if installing it from the terminal there may be some problem with OMV which is what I want to use in the file server. Otherwise I would use the Docker. I follow the Youtube channel of @TechnoDadLife and he has an excellent installation tutorial for Emby .... but I have only the doubt of whether it is better docker or through flatpak repository (flatbub).

Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, to me... Docker is very very rarely NOT the better choice...

It seems unlikely the flatpak install would do anything to interfere with OMV unless the Emby webUI is running on port 80, which I can't recall off the top of my head but I don't think it is. OMV requires port 80, so this would be an obvious conflict.

If it were me, I would use Docker, but that's just me.. I use Docker for almost everything.

• Thanks again for your answer.

Emby does not run by default on port 80. Port 8096 is the default but you can change it to the one you want. Docker is excellent, I was a little worried about the future support for Emby or Plex in OMV and the next version.

By the way .. TODAY: Debian Buster (Debian 10) will be officially launched https://bits.debian.org/2019/07/upcoming-buster.html and I assume that's something the OMV developers were waiting for new version.

• Offizieller Beitrag

To use Emby flatpak you'll need to install flatpak first which can be done from the cli without affecting omv, however, to install any flatpak app this will also have to be done from the cli.

The advantage in using Docker is the GUI plugin, easier to use and straightforward to configure.

• Offizieller Beitrag

To use Emby flatpak you'll need to install flatpak first which can be done from the cli without affecting omv, however, to install any flatpak app this will also have to be done from the cli.

The advantage in using Docker is the GUI plugin, easier to use and straightforward to configure.

I've never used flatpak, but reading it up on it, it seemed pretty similar to snapd.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never used flatpak, but reading it up on it, it seemed pretty similar to snapd.

I would agree, and at present Emby flatpak is open for testing before being submitted to flatpak, from what I have read and understand flatpak is aimed more at desktop distros, although it can be installed on a headless server you'll have to do use the cli.

• Thank you both.

Yes, flatpack is a repository that is taking a lot of force in practically all Linux distributions. Either by terminal or GUI the repository can be added. Debian 10 will bring flatpack if I'm not wrong, snap is more Ubuntu.

I'm in Emby's beta program, and in terms of server it's better that way, I've done it for a couple of years and actually the beta is very stable, with one thing or another, but nothing that they do not solve in question of hours.

In any case what really worries me is installing it in docker and then the plugins stop having OMV support with the new OMV version.

I do not use Emby as a player on the server, ever. I only use the WebUI for the configurations and the libraries, playlists and those things. I have Emby to use it in the different Emby clients that I have in my house and without external access.
    On some devices I can use the SMB or the mini DLNA ->(another plugin and I'm worried that it will run out of support on v5)

In short, that is the reason for my question.

Thank you very much in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In any case what really worries me is installing it in docker and then the plugins stop having OMV support with the new OMV version.

I don't think that would happen, but you have two other choices either portainer or cockpit both of which would server well as a replacement for the docker plugin.

Either by terminal or GUI the repository can be added

I've yet to find a GUI particularly web based for flatpak for a headless server. I was using Ubuntu before moving to OMV then I would install and update Emby via the cli, then configure it from it's own web interface.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!