Pool Hard Drives

• I will give this all a try. Like I said I haven't tried anything else because using windows was what I knew how to do, and yes the command line stuff is scary. I would have no idea how to do that. Is there some sort of a guide I can review?

Personally, since I had no experience with Linux, I just set up a Linux Mint virtual machine on my Windows PC that I played around with for a few weeks. It helped me learn how to do a lot of basic things from the command line like moving and deleting files. Then I set up an OMV VM and played around with that for a month or so. You can practice as much or little as you want and never have to worry about messing anything up, since if you do, you can delete the VM and start over again.

• Most people don't really need this and I recommend against manual configuration.

I need it. I did it. It works great.

jcschwartz,
    I'd recommend some other way of keeping track of what you've watched rather than physically moving files around. That seems very cumbersome to me. I use Kodi to watch my movies and it has a little icon next to the file name to show if a file's been watched or not.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I need it. I did it. It works great.

That is why I said "most". While you have it working, I don't think it is a good idea to recommend it for newbs.

I use Kodi to watch my movies and it has a little icon next to the file name to show if a file's been watched or not.

That is what I do as well.

How do you go about setting up OMV VM?

That needs a more information like what virtualization platform.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I need it. I did it. It works great.
    jcschwartz,
    I'd recommend some other way of keeping track of what you've watched rather than physically moving files around. That seems very cumbersome to me. I use Kodi to watch my movies and it has a little icon next to the file name to show if a file's been watched or not.

Kodi and Plex also have Trakt plugins that sync your watched status to a trakt.tv account, which is nice because it will sync again if you ever have to reinstall or reset your kodi database.

• Just wondering why nobody recommended using eXtplorer. Seems like a simple solution for someone not familiar with Linux and OMV.

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• The OP was asking about methods to move files across drives, which was slow because the user was doing it through a network share.

Given the description of the setup and problem, the user may not be aware of all options, and eXtplorer may resolve the simple issue of quicker file transfer without having to do much else to the server.

Not saying this is unquestionably the best solution, just that it is a way to easily resolve file transfer speeds.

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• Offizieller Beitrag

eXtplorer is not available as plug-in for OMV3 and OMV4. So installation is more complex.

IMO easiest way to copy files on the server is midnight commander.

Install with
    sudo apt install mc

start with
    sudo mc

To get started with CLI, I recommend "The Linux Command Line", which can be downloaded for free here:
    http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php/

• Ah, okay. I didn't realize the plugin was discontinued. That is a better explanation as to why it was not recommended.

• mergerfs works on top of existing filesystems. Creating a pool will not do anything to the files on the current filesystems. You can add/remove drives whenever you want. If a drive fails, you will just lose access to the files on that drive.

OP, this is the problem with mergerfs. Here is what happens, if you have 3 drives and you create a pool with them and then you decide to remove one of the drives your data on that drive will be removed from the pool. I would suggest installing Rockstor instead of OMV due to a fact that when you create a pool in Rockstor and you want to remove the drive but keep all the data Rockstor will move the data to the drives you are keeping. OMV does not seem to have anything like this unless you go with RAID.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OP, this is the problem with mergerfs. Here is what happens, if you have 3 drives and you create a pool with them and then you decide to remove one of the drives your data on that drive will be removed from the pool. I would suggest installing Rockstor instead of OMV due to a fact that when you create a pool in Rockstor and you want to remove the drive but keep all the data Rockstor will move the data to the drives you are keeping. OMV does not seem to have anything like this unless you go with RAID.

Ok troll. I don’t know why you are recommending something else in the OMV forum due to one filesystem choice. There are plenty of filesystem choices in OMV that dont behave this way. Pretty sure Rockstor doesn’t do anything magical with mergerfs to do something else (if it even supports mergerfs). And last time I checked, there isn’t a filesystem or raid type supported by Rockstor that isn’t supported by OMV.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Ok troll. I don’t know why you are recommending something else in the OMV forum due to one filesystem choice. There are plenty of filesystem choices in OMV that dont behave this way. Pretty sure Rockstor doesn’t do anything magical with mergerfs to do something else (if it even supports mergerfs). And last time I checked, there isn’t a filesystem or raid type supported by Rockstor that isn’t supported by OMV.

OMV has nothing to loose if I recommend something else that will make things easier for those people. OMV is free so they are not loosing any revenue. No, Rockstor uses BTRFS but to me thats all besides the point. When I asked on here about a filesystem that would be able to do what I want I was told that mergerfs can not do things this way. I have 8TB and 4TB drives in my system and I have them set up in Liner Raid right now for total of 12TB of space. I had 8TB and 4TB merged together too with mergerfs before I found out that I just cant add or remove drives without loosing data so for me there was no difference between setting up Linear Raid with these two drives or using mergerfs. Lets say I want to add another 8TB and then remove the old 8TB. Under Rockstor I can create pool and select Linear Raid. Then I can add and remove drives without data being removed as long as there is enough room for the data on the drives that are staying in the system. And I can do all this with few clicks because the system is set up so you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure things out. Im not knocking OMV. Im just pointing out that some other system might be better for some people.

Im talking Linear RAID. See above.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And I can do all this with few clicks because the system is set up so you dont have to be a rocket scientist to figure things out. Im not knocking OMV. Im just pointing out that some other system might be better for some people.

You can do that with OMV too. Just not with btrfs (yet). You can do it with lvm, zfs, or mdadm. OMV may be a bit more difficult some times but that is because it is more flexible.

• So I tried LVM2. I was able to add physical disks under Volume Groups but I was not able to remove any. When I clicked on Reduce, all I got was the page with no disks listed. zfs didnt want to install at all on OMV4. There were countless errors. mdadm I didnt try.

One suggestion, If I cant do it through GUI its simply not going to work for me and for millions of other average users. Hence why I was saying that Rockstor might be more helpful.

• Hi ZanosG,

You can have linear RAID with mdadm.
    For example, I have 4x2To RAID 5 for main storage, and make backups of that datas every night with rsnapshot on a 3x2To Linear RAID.

That works perfect for me, and very easy to configure with OMV GUI.

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups