No network-connection and no chance to shutdown omv: strange

• Hi,

since i bought a new HDD (WD 2TB) i have strange problems with my NAS using the latest openmediavault release .32 on HP Proliant Microserver.
    in my first installation -after plugging in new HDD- using a usb-flash disk on the intern usb-port, i could not establish a ssh connection, the webinterface was not reachable and -furthermore- i couldn't shutdown my server by pressing the on/off-button (as i configured in omv).
    In this forums i've read, that my problems could get solved by running omv from a HDD. so i installed omv on a 160 GB HDD, but that worked just for ~20hours: now i have the same problems described above. additional, i got input/output errors by transferring 100 GB of data from one 2TB HDD to the new one (2TB HDD by WD) during the 20hours, when everything else went ok.

do you have a clue?

regards

kruppka

• Offizieller Beitrag

Look in /var/log/messages for errors. Is the root drive full? Sometimes the logs can fill up a drive even that size with error messages (especially rsync).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's what i found in /var/log/messages.
    I'm not able to find the reason of this strange behaviour in this log. Can you help me?

• Yes, i did a fresh install and i wiped the new 2 TB HDD.
    i wiped the new 2 TB HDD the fast way, not in the secure mode.

Hope, this is no unsolveable case!

Thanks so far!

• Hmm, did you use the disk prior, or test it. I wonder if it got kicked around in shipment. I would test it with WDs tools. Did you get a disk with it? If not burn one from Western Digitals site.

• Its a HP Microserver as he said in Post #1. Which one do you have? N36L, N40L, N54L,...?

WARNING ... generic_detach_inode <-- i would think that there could be an issue with the system disc inode table.
    Perhaps you should wipe and reformat the complete disc the secure way?

For your shutdown issue: What is your setting in the BIOS?

• Hi,
    ...sorry for being late to answer...
    Yesterday i tried to wipe a 250 gb hdd the secure way: i got a failure message after full wipe (100%).
    Every wipe in OMV causes the problem that i cant shutdown and that the system isnt reacheable via network. Like described above.

I have HP Microserver N40L, if that helps...

THX in advance!

• HP N40L and N54L works perfectly for me.
    Did you try a fresh install?

• I had a similar situation with HP proliant 160. I flashed the BIOS and it started working with no problem on WD 2TB disks. Did you test the new HD on the Proliant microserver or some other machine?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!