Cannot Access Visible Shares

• OMV 4.x
    • Resolved

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cannot Access Visible Shares

This happened on both OMV3 and OMV4 (switched to 4 after 3 seemingly did not work).

I did a fresh install of OMV, followed this guide to set-up things: [HOW-TO] Browse / Connect to OMV SMB shares with Windows 10

And then took the following steps:

Go to Shared Folders to create 2 folders.
      Go to Access Right Management and created a single user that belongs to the "users" and "sambashare" groups.
      Go to Privileges to give the new user R/W access to the 2 Shared Folders.
      Go to SMB/CIFS -> Shares to add the 2 shares
      Access the share from my Windows 10 notebook
      I fill in the samba user credentials

At this point it looks good and the shares are visible but if I try to click on them I get this:

[IMG:https://i.imgur.com/SaRn601.png]

I followed these steps 3 times; 2x with OMV3 and 1x with OMV4 and exactly the same happens.

OMV is being installed on an ESXi host and I delete the VM for every new attempt.

Am I missing something?

//edit Tried using SMB3 instead of SMB2, same results.
      Also tried forcing guest only to see if it was the user, did not work either.
      Lastly watched that full install video guide and just tried setting the same user groups as in the video (ssh/sudo/user), did not work either.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Creqaw ().

• If you can "see" the share in Win 10's - Windows Explorer, the guide worked. What you're experiencing is, most likely, a permissions issue.

Set your permissions on your base share:
      Under Access Rights Management, Shared Folders, click on your sharename, and the ACL button. Set "Others" to Read /Write/Execute. Set "Replace" to Green and "Recursive" to Green and click on Apply.

Set permissions on the associated Samba Share:
      Under Services, SMB/CIF, Share tab, click on the SMB sharename (which should be referencing the base share above) and the Edit button. In the Public field set "Guests Allowed" and make sure READ ONLY is toggled off or grey. Click Save.

If the above works and you want to tighten it up again, you'd need to find out where your permission problems are and correct them.

Note: If you have an extended path to your base share as noted below;

/Serverfolders/share

The folder "Serverfolders" would need to be opened up with "Others" set to Read/Write/Execute as well. The path to the share must allow access to the user attempting to access the share.

Hint: Don't set shares as sub-dir's under a another folder, like the example above. Set network shares at the root of the data drive (I.E. /share) and you'll avoid this potential permissions issue.

To help with navigating to folders, examining their permissions, etc., WinSCP is a good tool. It will allow you to navigate through OMV's file structure in a graphical environment. It installs on a Windows machine and, with the IP address of the OMV server, and with the user name root and password, it will logon to the server.

**To use WinSCP, you must enable SSH, under Services, SSH, Enable is ON (green) and Permit Root Login is ON (green). Leave the rest at defaults.**
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.99 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• While the ACL setting changes did not work, you did give me another idea.

Since the drives were originally formatted to ext4 on a Mint live CD, I figured that could have messed up permissions wise (no idea if that is possible, never used Linux before VMing Pi-hole).

I went into the Physical Drives menu, (quick) wiped all drives and re-created the File Systems, mounted the disks and now they are accessible.

Thank you for the hint!
    • So, you were attempting to import a foreign volume. I didn't see that one coming. :)

FYI: When a disk is formatted and initial permissions are assigned, they're assigned for the root account and the users group, on the machine that formatted the disk.

While they have the same name, every root account and users group has a symbol (think of it as a key) attached to them that make them unique. Still, pushing recursive permission changes down the directory tree would have worked but, in this case, you would have had to apply the change to the drive's entire file system.

In any case, all's well that ends well. :thumbup:

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Maybe I should have said foreign "disk" versus foreign "volume". A volume can be associated with LVM (Logical Volume Management), or RAID, which are typically made up from more than one disk.

To get ahead of the permissions issues, you might want to go into Access Rights Management, User, Add, and recreate your Windows username and password on OMV. The username and password should match what you're already using at your windows client.

Why?
      When a new OMV user is added, by default, the user will be added to the default user group, "users". When a new share is created, again by default, the users group (and those in the group to include added users) get read/write by default. (Then, after adding the base share to SMB/CIF so it's visible on the network...)

When you access the SMB share and credentials are requested by OMV, Windows supplies your username and password. Since they'll match, you'll get access. You could replicate the same process for other household users.

It's not the most secure way to do it, but it's easy to establish and it will allow you to set "Others" to Read only (for media shares) or none (for personal data).

BTW: "Others" means, literally, "anyone" who is not the Owner or in the assigned Users Group. (Others is the Windows equivalent of Everyone.) While giving "Others" Read only access to media shares might make sense, for anything else Others should be set to none. (Your call.)

4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 3 times, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• Creqaw wrote:

For now, I think I will stick to creating separate users with differing usernames and passwords, Windows allows me to login with separate credentials and I prefer that over putting my Windows credentials in OMV.
      That's a more secure way to do it. Since a breach would be more likely on the Windows side, with separate credentials, at least OMV would be secure.

Setting aside troubleshoot efforts; just about anything is better than giving "Others" (Everyone) read/write access to a share, over the long term.

4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey ().