To OMV 4 or not to OMV 4?

• I'm upgrading my hardware for the first time in about 9 years or so to Mini-ITX so I can put everything into a *much* smaller case.

I generally don't usually consider installing "test" level builds of projects, but in looking at the status of 4.x right now, it seems pretty stable?

I can see all of the plugins I use are marked as stable.

I'm assuming that the eventual move to "stable" will be seamlessly through regular update.

My use case is just personal NAS with no other duties and I change a setting not usually as frequently as once per year.

Should I install 4.x?

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• Will "release" mean upgrade from test, or just a project status change?

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• By upgrade, I meant effectively a new installation. Some projects, when they go from development to release, will require users to fully install the release version. I've had this bite me before.

• Sorry to bring this back up, but I'm at the same spot. I'm on 2.2214 and looking to upgrade in the next week or so. Is 4.0 considered stable? How are the plugins? I use plex, and vmware plugins primarily.

• The list of available plugins in OMV 4 is quite a bit shorter than what was available in past versions, especially in the Downloaders section. There is a Plex plugin available in OMV 4, But I didn't see one for VMWare, only VirtualBox.

Using Dockers is the way to go if you need applications whose OMV plugin has been deprecated, so don't let the lack of a plugin hold you back.

I've used OMV 2, 3, and now 4. None of them has ever crashed or given me any problems.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Using Dockers is the way to go if you need applications whose OMV plugin has been deprecated, so don't let the lack of a plugin hold you back.

This. The Plex docker image works great on OMV4. No need to worry!

OMV 4.1.22-1 Arrakis | Odroid XU4Q | armhf-gang | docker noob

• So where is the functional install script for OMV4 on an existing Debian 9.4 system? Can't seem to find it. And the one I found expects me to do package management without a valid key auth, which is not a good base to start from (and usually ruins apt entirely).

• Offizieller Beitrag

So where is the functional install script for OMV4 on an existing Debian 9.4 system?

Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)

And the one I found expects me to do package management without a valid key auth, which is not a good base to start from (and usually ruins apt entirely).

Installing the openmediavault-keyring package fixes that and not having a key does not ruin apt. It may install a package that you don't want/like but in this case you are safe. The other solution is to use the OMV installer ISO.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)

Installing the openmediavault-keyring package fixes that and not having a key does not ruin apt. It may install a package that you don't want/like but in this case you are safe. The other solution is to use the OMV installer ISO.

Actually, debian 9 has some issues with apt. Check this out. Thus far, the past few months, I have experienced similar issues on 2 different debian servers. Mainly the upgrade from Jessie seems to be causing failures with apt on Stretch. Something with permissions of trusted.gpg and then having to re-validate keys.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually, debian 9 has some issues with apt. Check this out. Thus far, the past few months, I have experienced similar issues on 2 different debian servers. Mainly the upgrade from Jessie seems to be causing failures with apt on Stretch. Something with permissions of trusted.gpg and then having to re-validate keys.

I'm sure you can always find some issue but I have yet to see this with OMV and OMV-extras (I have 10+ installs) especially since they don't use the trusted.gpg file. They put their own trusted file in /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I'm sure you can always find some issue but I have yet to see this with OMV and OMV-extras (I have 10+ installs) especially since they don't use the trusted.gpg file. They put their own trusted file in /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/.

That's actually not true. If your public keys aren't correct, no repo will work properly. See also https://github.com/openmediava…enmediavault-docs/pull/26 for a good example.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's actually not true. If your public keys aren't correct, no repo will work properly. See also https://github.com/openmediava…enmediavault-docs/pull/26 for a good example.

You need to read that issue a little closer. The two issues are the keyring not being installed (impossible to fix the problem if you dont install the key) and a reference to the trusted.gpg file again which omv and omv-extras do not use.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!