strange SMB performance

• Hi,

i have a question regarding samba performance.

connection is from my local network to my labtop running via wifi (ac speed)

when i copy a file to the NAS, i get aprox 30mb/s which is ok for wifi (could be better but anyway)
    if i copy a file from the NAS, i only get aprox 3 mb/s even the same file that i copied to the nas...

this sounds strange in my ears, anyone experienced this, and have a solution?

FWX

• Can you try to copy with wired LAN? To rule out, that the problem is on the NAS and not with the wifi.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• ok so i connected my labtop to my network by wire:

upload: 80MB/s
    download: 20MB/s

seems wierd that its faster to store than to read...

and my harddrive is fast enough ive tested with an usb-3 disk to and from with both ways going over 100MB/s

• I write faster to my NAS than i can read from it... ^^ but its just some MB/s difference.

How is the CPU load when writing/reading? (On your nas)

Pls change to your nas drive via command line e.g.

Code
    /media/UUID/

and test your read/write speeds with the two following commands
    write:

Code
    dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=1MB count=10240

read:

Code
    dd if=tempfile of=/dev/zero bs=1MB count=10240

Afterwards you can delete the tempfile, but make sure you are on your shared harddisk/raid (/media/UUID).

Another thing you could try would be to use an FTP connection, but make sure you use a large file for speed test, because FTP gets slow if you use many small files!

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• write speed with dd: 243 MB/s

read speed with dd: 2.1 GB/s

cpu never gets over 40% (4 core amd phenom 2.5 GHz) 16GB ram

ftp speed wireless: 12 MB/s

which is still way better than smb latest test is 3.4 MB/s from nas to laptop.

• I would test FTP via cable too, just to rule out that it don't caps at 20MB/s again... That would show that the problem could just simply be the direction of your wifi transfer.

Greetings
    David

• ftp: 107 MB/s så quite fast compared to smb.

hmm i search around and found that by adding:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536

i could gain some more speed, so new speed from nas to laptop wireless is now 11 MB/s which is a gain of 3 times the old value.

• It seems that you're not the only one who is having problems these days.: http://forums.openmediavault.o…wtopic.php?p=13328#p13328
    Alltough i cannot reproduce the problem here...

Which Operation System are you using? I know Windows 7 has some Problem related to its own SMB version 2... Maybe its more related to Windows than OMV itself.

Greetings
    David

• Hi,

I had similar issues with file transfer over SMB with Windows 7.
    Performance over SMB was really bad 20-30MB/s but with FTP everything worked fine (100MB/s).

I added "strict allocate = yes" to the global smb.conf restarted SMB. Now I have the same transfer speed for SMB as over FTP.
    Google "strict allocate = yes" and check the Samba wiki for more information (couldn't add url, post was marked as spam).

I'm not a SMB guru but maybe someone could explain why this isn't already in the smb.conf or if it will impact something else to use this configuration?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It looks like it enables samba to use extents. Extents are something relatively new with filesystems compared to the age of samba. The "strict allocate" option was first in 3.5.7 but backported to older versions (OMV uses 3.5.6). The reason it isn't defaulted on OMV and still not the default on newer Linux distros is because it is actually slower on filesystems that don't use extents. If you are using ext4 or xfs, then it should help.

Good find! Guess I will try it on my systems :) Might have to add that to the wiki.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

From my very quick tests, it looks like it benefits slower processors much more than fast processors. On one system, it went from 90 MB/s to 93. Another went from 110 to 110. I don't have a good Atom system to test this theory.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm running OMV on my ESXi server and the hardware dedicated to OMW should be more then enough.

Intel® Core i5-3470S
    16GB RAM
    HBA IBM M1015
    2x 1Gbit nic
    Asus RT-N65U router
    Only cat 6 cables used

The network card and HBA card is configured with pass-through and 2GB ram given to OMV.
    I'm using ext4 as file system and the hardware used should be more then enough to get full speed.

Before I changed the smb.conf I got 20-30MB/s when transferring files from one instance, but if I started two transfers they both got the same speed (total 40-60MB/s).
    It was after that I tried FTP instead and noticed that the transfer speed was normal via FTP.

I read some forums regarding SMB and slow transfer speed to Windows and found the information on the SMB wiki which helped a lot.

Slower processors might benefit as well but I got a huge performance boost with this change.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!