Update 2.x -> 3.x ...->4.x

• I access to a server omv 2.x remotely and control it by virtualbox VM. All was fine then I update(not upgrade!) it and restart. Virtualbox server fail to start..... PFFFTTTTTTT.... so I do omv-release-upgrade upgrade 2.x to 3.x : BAM 502 bad gateway.... Think that it would become better I do again omv-release-upgrade 3.x to 4.x BAMMMM ! Now I even do not access by SSH ! And the server is AWAY from me ! Feel really upset here with OMV here...... ||||||

• Unfortunately, if you've lost access to the server via SSH, and you do not have physical access at the moment, there's really nothing you can do other than wait until you have physical access to the machine again. Once you do get access to the machine, have a look at what plugins you are using, as some of them may be incompatible with the upgrade.

• pretty much same for me. . . . one minute everything was fine, then boom, Bad Gateway! I have ended up reinstalling only to see bad gateway error and others. . . . still no working omv :(

OMV: OMV 6 - Intel I7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 1600 - 31.8 TB MDADM RAID 6

Desktop:
    Win 10 Pro - AMD RYZEN 5 3600X @4.2 - 32 GB DDR 4 3600 - 4 TB NVME

Win 10 Pro - I7-4770k @ 4.3 GHz - 16 GB DDR 3 1600 Samsung 960 Evo 500 (X2) Raid-0

• try it with omv-firstaid over ssh or direcly on your omv system

omv 6.x | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 6.x |
    used plugins: omv-extras | portainer | rsnapshot | antivirus
    used container: portainer/portainer | nextcloud/all-in-one | linuxserver/swag | paperless-ngx | jellyfin/jellyfin | lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver | adguard/adguardhome |

• OMV upgrades are always a little bit difficult and should be done only when a physical access to the server is guaranteed. There are a lot of threads here regarding similar problems, incompatible plugins a.s.o. The current oppinion here is not to do an upgrade except for a plain OMV basic installation. It is recommended to remove all OMV-extras plugins and other extensions before an upgrade is done.

For the future you may think about a server with a remote management interface like IPMI. Then you should be able to do reset the hardware at least. But I am also not sure if this would help in your current situation with OMV in a VM.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• It will be so good if we have something like : Unenable or Delete the (dam****d) pluins and set the priority to the system to restart correctly and without 502 error. When you upgrade your OMV the morst pluing are not compatible so... Pfsense eg. simply list the plugins installed and didnt care of them as the priority is to reboot correctly the system newly upgrade.

Zitat

...should be done only when a physical access to the server is guaranteed...

Zitat

try it with omv-firstaid over ssh or direcly on your omv system

The server is in Europe and I am somewhere in Asia, should I buy a ticket ? :D:D:D

Zitat

management interface like IPMI

Nah... Just a normal home PC you know...

Zitat

It is recommended to remove all OMV-extras plugins and other extensions before an upgrade is done.

This option should be integrated in the process of upgrade and display some warning! As in the end if the user didnt do it he will have sure problem after reboot !

Zitat

pretty much same for me. . . . one minute everything was fine, then boom, Bad Gateway!

For me the hell begins with a simple CLI SSh update and then reboot and then BAM ! Voila.....

• The server is in Europe and I am somewhere in Asia, should I buy a ticket ?

This a really good idea. A visit of Europe can be very satisfying ;)

Zitat

It is recommended to remove all OMV-extras plugins and other extensions before an upgrade is done.

This is not an official OMV recomendation but common experience.

Nah... Just a normal home PC you know...

I thought this to myself.

This option should be integrated in the process of upgrade and display some warning!

I agree that the upgrade process should be more robust. But it should be recalled that OMV is not a professional system, free of charge and maintained by a view persons part-time only. Therefore there is only a limited support for maintenance tasks like version upgrade.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree that the upgrade process should be more robust. But it should be recalled that OMV is not a professional system, free of charge and maintained by a view persons part-time only. Therefore there is only a limited support for maintenance tasks like version upgrade.

Everyone must remember that upgrading from OMV 2.x to 3.x isn't just an OMV upgrade (which was a big change). It is moving from Debian 7.x to 8.x AND from sysvinit to systemd. These are huge changes.

The upgrade from 3.x to 4.x should not require removing the plugins and has gone much better than any version upgrade for me.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• i have done fresh install several times and still locked in a 502 error situation

OMV: OMV 6 - Intel I7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 1600 - 31.8 TB MDADM RAID 6

Desktop:
    Win 10 Pro - AMD RYZEN 5 3600X @4.2 - 32 GB DDR 4 3600 - 4 TB NVME

Win 10 Pro - I7-4770k @ 4.3 GHz - 16 GB DDR 3 1600 Samsung 960 Evo 500 (X2) Raid-0

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you using OMV4 on your production server?

I'm using OMV 4.x on all of my OMV servers (5+).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I upgraded from OMV3 to OMV4 a few weeks, and encountered bad gateway too.
    Tried all the methods, but failed.
    I ended up did a clean OMV4 installation.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• I'm using OMV 4.x on all of my OMV servers (5+).

If you're comfortable with running it, I guess I am too. I will look into upgrading later.

I upgraded from OMV3 to OMV4 a few weeks, and encountered bad gateway too.
    Tried all the methods, but failed.
    I ended up did a clean OMV4 installation.

What plugins are you using? Did you try fixing the problem before wiping?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!