Access all shared folders on the SMB Share at once

• Hi!

Its my first message on this forum, and is only 2 weeks that I've built with love my home media center!

I've proceeded slowly and steady, but I'm facing a big issue that I didn't resolved after days, so I must ask to someone that know this better than me.

The situation is this:

I want to share some folders that are on the OMV External Hard Drive. These folders are the classic folders you can image (Media\,Projects\,Software\, ecc).

Now: I want to set that only a subset of all users can access ALL the folders: some other users could only access one or two folder. This could be easily done using the "Privileges" button" on the 'User' control panel.

The issue is this: I want to access these folder from Windows.

Unfortunately (for some reason) the server doesn't show up from the "Network" devices on Explorer, so the only way to have access to these folder is to "mount" single folders through the "Add network share" option in "My Computer" screen. This mean that I have to create an entry for EACH folder I want to share. This is really annoying because I have 7-8 folders, and they fill the whole page. Also, I have to access my server from outside home, so I have to re-create all entries another time.

So I had a good idea: create a "root" shared folder, that point to "/" (The whole hard drive), so I have to mount only one folder to have access to the whole hard drive.

But then I'm facing a "permissions hell", because with users with 'limited privileges' I can only:

- Deny the access to "root" folder -> User now can't access ANY folder on disk (even if I say that they can use a subset of folders).

- Allow the access to "root" folder -> They can see everything, and is wrong.

How I can solve this situation? :/

• Hi,

For Windows the SMB Shares works best with the ACL Way not the Permissions, you have to enable Discovery in SMB and System.
    You can't see them because they have do be read/execute for the Users
    Try this approach:

The Workgroup has to be the same

Create a Group of "Priv" Users and assign the Folder Permissions like this:

And the Other Folders have Access as Others and mark the Share as Guest Allow

If you want the One Folder Approach use this (the hide unreadable manages the hiding of Folders for non approved users)

Here you can also Groups to Make the Folders usable by users or assign the users directly.

• Sorry for the late reply!

I deleted every user and shared folder, re-created all from scratch and this time I used ACL instead Permissions.

I choose to do a "master folder" approach and hide the folder that can't be used by some users and I must to say the it work PERFECTLY!

I had to fiddle around a bit but now is working good: I can restrict access to "private" folder to users or to groups!

About the discovery service: it is online but the server doesn't show up through the 'Network Explorer'.
    Isn't a top priority issues, however (I can access it through fixed IP or through writing 'omv.mshome.net' into Explorer address path), so...who cares :P

Maybe is better this way, after all.

Thanks for the help, especially because you had the patience to build up a tutorial with screenshots :D

• Oh I see, the mshome Shared DNS has no discovery integration

Gesendet von meinem P9000 mit Tapatalk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!