Removing a hard drive - best procedure to do so?

• OMV 2.x
    • Resolved

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Removing a hard drive - best procedure to do so?

Hi All

I'm running OMV on a HP Proliant 540L microserver which is running nicely but I'd like to swap out one of the hard disks and wanted to check the best way of doing so.

I'm not using RAID so the disk is just mounted and with a few shared folders on it.

My assumption is that I need to remove the shared folders before removing the disk so OMV doesn't try to find them and get upset when it can't? Do I need to do this individually for each occurrence of where it is shared ie SAMBA, FTP etc?

Once that's done is there any thing else I need to do before I can safely remove the disk?

Post by crashtest ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().

Post by crashtest ().

Post by crashtest ().

Post by crashtest ().

• You have to select “None” in the “Location” field to be able to remove the shared folder.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • For what? User home directory is "off" now. It can not be saved when i am Enable it and then selecting "None". Red frame and "Save" button do nothing.

Fixed! I must turn ON user home directory, select Nothing, then turn OFF and hit "Save"! What a unintuitive actions! Why i must Turn on - delete - turn off ? Function is already disabled!
      Images
      • scr1.PNG

8.59 kB, 443×336, viewed 12 times

The post was edited 5 times, last by Nuke ().

• You have to select 'None' because otherwise the database still stores your selected Shared Folder and when you try to delete it the database sees that it is referenced somewhere. The workflow you have to go to deselect the 'Location' field is done everywhere across the UI. E.g. if you disable a service, all input fields are disabled. So why should this page do it some other way?

Disabling a service does not mean that the entered values are not stored in the database, or do you want to loose all entered values if you disable the service here or e.g. SMB, FTP, ...? Surely not. The current way how it is implemented has good reasons, i assume some are not understandable by the user.

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.

• donh wrote:

It would be nice if the error showed were it is referenced in the db. And suggested the fix.
      That's sadly not possible, the required metadata is not available to do that in a generic way.

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.

• Users Online 1

1 Guest