Removing a hard drive - best procedure to do so?

• OMV 2.x
    • Removing a hard drive - best procedure to do so?

Hi All

I'm running OMV on a HP Proliant 540L microserver which is running nicely but I'd like to swap out one of the hard disks and wanted to check the best way of doing so.

I'm not using RAID so the disk is just mounted and with a few shared folders on it.

My assumption is that I need to remove the shared folders before removing the disk so OMV doesn't try to find them and get upset when it can't? Do I need to do this individually for each occurrence of where it is shared ie SAMBA, FTP etc?

Once that's done is there any thing else I need to do before I can safely remove the disk?
    • If you add the reset perm's plugin, it adds two tabs to Shared Folders. One of them, "Shared Folder in Use" will show all references to services and folder sharing in use.

Otherwise, go bottom to top in the left hand column of the OMV web page and de-configure anything configured. Don't forget SMART drive tests, in any, and other filesystem items like LVM and unionfs, if configured.

Essentially, if done cleanly, you'll be removing all configuration items, in reverse order, applied to that specific drive to include plugins (like SNAPRAID) and Dockers, if they store data on the drive.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing
    • Did you just install OMV? What platform are you using? Arm-hf or PC?
    • OK. The reset perms plugin is in the plugin's page. Install as follows (check the box, click install):

The result of this plugin can be found here - the highlighted two tabs are added to this page:

The Shared Folder In Use tab points to what you need to de-configure / delete.

In this instance, if you wanted to remove your data storage drive;
      The "Downloads" shared folder would have to be deleted.

Then check, Storage, Filesystems. If the data drive is not referenced (Referenced: NO) the drive could unmounted and removed.

The post was edited 2 times, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• guynexdoor wrote:

OK, I think I found it!
      :thumbup: