Plex Media Server

• I was on my plex webpage and noticed it said there's a server update available. I know that it says you shouldn't need this but I thought what's the harm. So I went to the plex tab in omv and saw the details for updating. There was a section for Plex pass members and underneath a different section for manual update. Okay, I'm not a plex pass member so I'd be best using the manual method, right? So I go ahead and delete the files from /var/cache/apt/archives, then I go to do the wget command, but it says I've to copy in a link. Where's the link? I do a websearch of "wget downloadlink" and all the results point me to https://www.plex.tv/downloads/ which has a dropdown box which leads to a file download, not a wget command.

So I eventually look above and see in the plex pass members section of the tab it mentions logging into a private section of the plex forum (I don't remember exactly as I no longer have plex installed to see what's written on that tab). So I'm supposed to get the wget link from this private section that I can't access? Why didn't the manual method say it's just for plex pass members?

I tried downloading the file and transferring it across to my omv server and ran the dpkg command there. Okay, that worked, back in business. I tried to execute the last step in the instructions : "/etc/init.d/plexmediaserver start" but I get no such file or directory. I go to /etc/init.d/ and I can see plexmediaserver is there.

Okay, seems I shouldn't have bothered with any of this in the first place. I went back to my OMV panel and uninstalled Plex, then reinstalled it. When I try to enable it I still have the same problem:

Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'plexmediaserver' stop 2>&1': invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver not found.

I'm at a loss, I've no idea how to get plex running now.

• With Debian 8 OMV has changed from sysvinit to systemd.

Does a file /etc/init/plexmediaserver.conf exist?

What happends if you entersystemctl start plexmediaserver?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• @raveymoo

You don't say what version of OMV you are running and you don't say what hardware platform you are running OMV on. Without knowing these it's not possible to give you correct advice.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• With Debian 8 OMV has changed from sysvinit to systemd.

Does a file /etc/init/plexmediaserver.conf exist?

What happends if you entersystemctl start plexmediaserver?

Yes, I have that file.

systemctl start plexmediaserver
    systemctl: command not found

@raveymoo

You don't say what version of OMV you are running and you don't say what hardware platform you are running OMV on. Without knowing these it's not possible to give you correct advice.

I had to say which version of omv I'm running to post this, I assumed it showed somewhere. It's omv 2 on an old pc with an e6750 core duo processor.

• It's omv 2

With OMV2 there is still the older sysvinit.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• For use on OMV 2.x any Plex Media Server package you manually download and install MUST contain the word "wheezy" in the filename. If you used any other package, you used the wrong one - manually remove it and try again.

Note there are no Plex Media Server wheezy packages available from Plex.tv. You can obtain the proper OMV 2.x packages for Intel/AMD64 hardware here:

https://cloud.chrisdos.com/index.php/s/KOloOkfSoXUWPSU

Or you can use OMV 2.x's built in Plex repo, but it is not being kept current.

As far as upgrading in place an existing OMV 2.x system to OMV 3.x (without doing a fresh install) expect that to be a very challenging experience. Make sure you have a verified able to be restored backup of the system because it may take multiple tries to get the upgrade to properly complete.

If you do manage to get onto OMV 3.x you may want to consider using a docker for Plex instead of the plugin.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks for the reply. I'm just making a OMV 3 usb stick now. I'm not upgrading :)

What's a docker?

• A docker is a "container" that has all the required software to run an application within it. Instead of installing a program and all its required dependencies into the system, you configure and run the container instead. This makes it very easy to remove or update the application as the underlying operating system itself isn't touched.

While most of OMV 2.x's plugins have a corresponding one in OMV 3.x, this can not be said of OMV 4.x. A large number of OMV 3.x plugins are no longer provided in OMV 4.x. So, if you need a program that was provided by a plugin but is no longer provided by plugin, you have only two choices: manually install the application, assuming you can find one compatible with your OMV version, or run it in a docker.

--

• A docker is a "container" that has all the required software to run an application within it. Instead of installing a program and all its required dependencies into the system, you configure and run the container instead. This makes it very easy to remove or update the application as the underlying operating system itself isn't touched.

While most of OMV 2.x's plugins have a corresponding one in OMV 3.x, this can not be said of OMV 4.x. A large number of OMV 3.x plugins are no longer provided in OMV 4.x. So, if you need a program that was provided by a plugin but is no longer provided by plugin, you have only two choices: manually install the application, assuming you can find one compatible with your OMV version, or run it in a docker.

Thanks for the info about docker. I was a bit lost as to how to use it but if anyone else reads this and is interested this guide helped me get things set up easily.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!