Fastest way to pull files from SMB/CIFS remote mounts?

• I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS router with LEDE and a USB3.0 2,5" HDD connected 24/7 to it. I have created a SMB share and a remote mount via the OMV plugin to it. Everything works fine, I have access from the NAS to the SMB folder, I see the share is mounted in /srv...etc

What would be the ideal way in terms of speed to "pull" the files from that SMB folder on my network to the shared folders on the NAS? Security is not an issue here as both are on my local network and no one else has access to it but me.

Maybe FTP?

I tried rsync but it gives an error whenever I add the new share saying that it cannot set the user permissions correctly (I guess because the owner of the SMB folder is the root on LEDE not on OMV)

omv 5.5.23-1 usul arm64

omv 5.5.23-1 usul x64

• Thank you for the detailed answer.

I am using the router and the 2,5" HDD drive as a "seedbox", downloading to it and seeding from it 24/7. It only takes around 15watt both from the outlet.

I just power on the NAS whenever I want to use Plex, most of the time, which is around 2h - 4h/day. The problem is that I have 12x3,5" HDD connected to it, and I do not want to have them running 24/7 just to seed (despite the power saving features and so).

So the idea is to use the 2,5" HDD for the "everyday" downloads and seeds, and each week, organize and "pull" from it the files downloaded that week into the NAS folders.

I have a "smb" user with "xxx" password", UID 1000, GID 65534 (nobody group) with -rw permission on the 2,5" HDD from the router (/etc/passwd), and a "smb" user with the same "xxx" password, UID 1000, GID 100 (users group) locally on OMV for the smb shares. For example, on a local machine running Windows 10 I can log in to the 2,5" HDD in the router, and create/delete files and folders. And I can log in the SMB shares fron the NAS and create/delete files and folders. So it seems that permissions for "smb" user are ok.

But if I add the SMB shared folder in order to rsync it from OMV, it gives me the error commented in the post before.

Thanks in advance.

omv 5.5.23-1 usul arm64

omv 5.5.23-1 usul x64

• Wow, thank you a lot for the help and screenshots.

Yeah, I have a Linksys WRT1900ACS with enough CPU power (dual-core 1.6GHz) and RAM (512MB) to run several services in a <15W box, a Transmission daemon/webUI among others. I have it installed OpenWRT/LEDE.

In the remote mount part and local shared folder, I have exactly the same escenario as you.

In the remote mount shared folder is where the user permission error occurs. Yeah I point to the root (/) of the disk (although it gets autofilled with the name of the shared folder (/sharedfolder)). Despite the permission error, it gets shared normally, and I can see the remount mount shared folder among my shared folders as if it were a local one.

Now I have tried the rsync with the extra options and rsync works! Thank you a lot.

The speeds are pretty fast with rsync, around ~95MB/s sustained. The route and interface rate speeds between the remote HDD (router) and the local HDD (NAS) are:

2,5" HDD read speed (198 MB/s read sustained ATTO) --> USB3.0 interface speed (625MB/s) ---> Gigabit LAN interface speed (125MB/s) ---> SATA3 interface speed (750MB/s) --> 3,5" HDD write speed (141MB/s write sustained ATTO)

2,5" HDD read speeds and 3,5" write speeds are taken from an ATTO real escenario benchmark (much lower that the manufacturer claims)

So the limit in this case is curiously the Gigabit interface (1000BASE-X). Time to upgrade all devices to 10G :)

omv 5.5.23-1 usul arm64

omv 5.5.23-1 usul x64

• Thank you for the input.

I am using the plugins Wakealarm and Autoshutdown, and they both work flawlessly.

Besides, I have WoL activated in the BIOS, so I can power up the NAS on demand.

omv 5.5.23-1 usul arm64

omv 5.5.23-1 usul x64

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!