Does omv4 need more powerful hardware than omv3?

• Hi all,

after I tried out early omv4 on my backup server but went back to omv3 last year, I gave omv4 another chance now. On same hardware as before - see my signature -, just on a different drive, so that I simply can swap back to running omv3.

Now I have the following: With one of my filesets for testing, some 3.3GB of mp3s in 25 folders, which are blown by SMB to gb ethernet at full link speed, omv4 writes with 85-95MBps and collapses down to <1MBps inbetween, whereas omv3 writes with some 10MBps more and breaks down to about 30MBps only. (AFAIS the break-down is because the fileset is 2 main folders, with 22 subfolders in one of them.) While I tested, there were definitlvely no other accesses to omv to steel performance.

Although the hardware, I found this out with, is my private backaup server, and for this purpose, speed is not the most important feature, it's my testing system, so I'm still interested in knowing the reason of this. And what I can do to overcome it, e.g. use an i5 rather than the i3, and/or install more RAM.

Best regards,
    Johannes

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, OMV 4.x doesn't need more resources than 3.x. The samba version is different though and might account for your speed differences. Try the fifth problem here - Solutions to common problems

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron,

on yesterday I tried all extra parameters from first thread (except for log level), separately and together. I also tried couple of other parameters, which I thougt useful (e.g. aio..), but no significant change. Omv4's performance still is about 15% behind omv3's.

At least re the collaps I found out, that it is that cruel only the first time after a (re)boot, lateron speed drops down to 10-20MBps "only"...

And this all is with a single (windows 8) client on the other side of LAN cable.

Best regards,
    Johannes

Private NAS: Asus P9D-I + Xeon E3-1220L CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + LSI SAS2108 HBA + 4x8TB BTRFS RAID 10 + OMV 4 booting from single SLC SSD
    Private experimental NAS: Asus P9D-I + i3-4130T CPU + 8GB ECC RAM + 3x10 BTRFS RAID5 + OMV 5 beta booting from single SLC SSD

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is hard to say what is causing the problem. I have no tuning parameters in my samba config and don't have issues.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi reycoaaron,

thanks for reply, even if it could not help. But good to read, that you don't use tunning - which is my favorite, too :)

For the moment, I'll swap back to omv3 and let my backups run as known, but when I have some time to waist again, I'll try out another mobo/CPU, in particular the H87/Haswell or the H110/Skylake combo, that I have laying around.

Best regards,
    Johannes

• Think, I digged down the issue. After I used a H61 motherboard plus a Marvell 88SE9230 based SATA controller in the past, I moved to a H67 board today, which has enough SATA slots onboard, that I don't need the extra controller no more. And voila - the deep drops on network speed are gone.

Looks like the Marvell chip was the bottleneck here, and not the SMB handler. Thanks for help anyway.

Best regards,
    Johannes

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!