Can you rename the name that OMV gives to the NIC?

• Hi everyone,
    I made the jump from 0.5 to 4.1.0. One thing that I have found, is that with 0.5, it named the NIC Eth0, but in 4.1.0, it is now calling the NIC "enp26s0". Is there some place that I can change the name?

Under the General Settings, Network, Interfaces, when I choose to edit the NIC, under the General Settings, the name "enp26s0" is in a light font and I cannot remove it or put anything else in the field to replace it.

Thanks,
    Ted

OMV 4.1.0-1 Arrakis running on:
    IBM System x3400 server
    Dual Xeon 5110 1.6Ghz CPUs
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Offizieller Beitrag

Omv doesn’t control the naming of interfaces, this is done by udev. You can change it however changing the udev rule. At the moment I cannot explain how to do it because I am not in front of a server, but you can find plenty of information on google about this.

• in 4.1.0, it is now calling the NIC "enp26s0". Is there some place that I can change the name?

Unfortunately yes, you can fiddle around even in two places. Please do a web search for 'debian predictable network interface names' to learn

• why this is happening
    • why this is a good thing
    • how you can try to fight against it (using the interface names we used last decades)
    • why your try to change interface names back to what you are used to won't help with future Debian versions future OMV versions will be based on

TL;DR: Interface names have changed for a reason. Better try to understand and accept instead of changing.

• Predictable Network Interface Names
    As of Stretch, the old network names like eth0, eth1 have gone away as the device name can change. The new names are similar to these: enp6s0, enp8s0, enp0s31f6, enp5s0. Sadly, the system used is still somewhat arbitrary in that it relies on the BIOS enumeration which changes in with buggy BIOSs and under some situations. (That it wasn't based on a reduced sumcheck of the MAC address (2c:56:ac:39:ec:0d becomes 98) or some similar method is puzzling (udev can do such things) and the names we are left with are rather user unfriendly).

https://wiki.debian.org/Networ…e_Network_Interface_Names

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!