New to OMV and getting no where...

• I am trying to setup a Home Cloud 2 (ODROID-XU4 platform) and I really don't understand the basics of Open Media Vault.

One: Can I create two partitions using XFS (first partition) and EXT4 (second partition) with first using NFS and second using Samba? I'm trying to create two partitions, one for allowing an Odroid C2 (64 bit SBC) to write MongoDB collections to an XFS partition. Next, I want the second partition that will be accessible from Window systems on the network for streaming videos.

I wiped the disk and then created a physical partition with XFS and then mounted it. I attempted resize it (shrink it), OMV says the drive is not mounted [facepalm/drive is mounted(applied)/shows mounted]. Yet, if I do the same thing using EXT4, it doesn't error out but...it doesn't seem to do anything.

Two: Why do I get errors with XFS but EXT4 does not generate errors with my drive?

Last: Is it possible to use Samba with OMV and have it easy for none computer trained people to see the shared folder and discover it on the network. Almost every setup video shows using Drive Map for Windows and enter an Ip address. I can't use this type of setup with two in my office over the phone. They really need PHD buttons (Push Here Dummy)...

• Offizieller Beitrag

XFS and then mounted it. I attempted resize it (shrink it),

You can't shrink XFS. You can shrink ext4 when it is unmounted. Both can be grown while mounted.

Is it possible to use Samba with OMV and have it easy for none computer trained people to see the shared folder and discover it on the network

Yes but it requires functioning DNS on your network. It definitely doesn't require mapping the drive but it is easier for noobs. As for setting up the mapped drive, you could send them a script or just have them type the command in a command prompt (assuming you know the server name, share name and drive letter to mount it as):

net use z: \\servername\sharename /persistent:Yes

I recommend watching the videos for help with OMV too: OMV Setup Videos

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Why do you want to use different filesystems and partitions ?

Typically, you would have the entire drive (or multiple drives) as a single large storage space, and shared folders dedicated to each particular usage. This allows more flexibility.

OMV doesn't do partitioning. You would have to create your partitions in gparted and then mount them in OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!