I just can't get Openmediavault stable, what am I doing wrong?

• Hello Guys :thumbup:

3 months ago, I installed OMV 4.0.14, and everything run perfectly fast and stable, but 2 Weeks ago my NAS suddenly stopped working.

(Couldn't connect at all, neither SSL nor GUI would work)

Apparently something was wrong with the ext4 file system on my /sda1 drive (my SLC-USB Stick), so I tried to force fsck on reboot ...

When the NAS booted again I loocked at the monitor, and saw this:

Then I resetted the NAS, but it wouldn't boot anymore...

The USB Stick is by the way now almost 2 Years old, I used it all the time until december 30th 2017 with Open Media Vault 2.2.14 and since the end of 2016 with Flash Memory Plugin, but because I couldn't get it to run on 4.0.14, I disabled the performance monitoring to reduce some of the writes.

But for some reason, the Stick works perfectly under Windows, so I dont know what it is that ruined my install of OMV

(it happend multiple times before, I dont know if it's my fault though)

Oh and I tested the RAM yesterday with Memtest86+, but it completed without any errors, so I assume it has nothing to do with that.

Anyway, I simply want my NAS to no longer crash and die every now and then, should I maybe try to install OMV on a SSD?

And if I go with a SSD, what would you recommend (do you think the Kingston A400 SSD 120GB would work?)

It's just so tiring having trouble with my NAS all the time, I just wish that everything worksat the first try...

Hope someone can help me X/

Greetings from Germany

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would definitely try something else other than that usb stick. Just don't copy the install from the old usb stick to the new media. That will just transfer the problem.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Then I resetted the NAS, but it wouldn't boot anymore...

You've a corrupted filesystem, some essential libraries can not be loaded so this installation is totally bricked.

Only advise I could give wrt USB sticks:

• always test them with either F3 or H2testw first (to check for counterfeit stuff)
    • only write OS images / installers with Etcher (since verifying the installation and saving you from common hassles)
    • use USB3 storage products only on USB2 ports if you have to use USB3-A receptacles (that's the usual ones colored blue -- they are magnitudes less reliable compared to USB-C). 'Downgrading' the link speed from 5Gbps SuperSpeed to 480Mbps Hi-Speed will not harm OS or boot performance but greatly increases reliability
    • Always enable flashmemory plugin
  • I would definitely try something else other than that usb stick. Just don't copy the install from the old usb stick to the new media. That will just transfer the problem.

Yes, I also tried a old 8GB SanDisk SSD, but it usually takes weeks or months for problems to occur.

And I already formatted the Stick, so using the old stuff is out of question :)

Edit

Looks like H2testw didn't found any Problems ...

• Why does my Post say "This post must first be checked and unlocked by a moderator to make it visible to all users."?

Somehow everything tech related breaks if I touch it ...

• Why does my Post say "This post must first be checked and unlocked by a moderator to make it visible to all users."?

Spam prevention. Spammers register their account, come back weeks later and create a dummy post. When the post is online they get back an hour later and insert all the spam crap. Most probably that's the reason that your post got this status since you edited it already twice. But only an assumption and observation -- I don't know how the forum works internally :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!