Help to choose the right disk configuration

• Hi to all, i'm new of OMV and after read some things in forum .... i'm more confused :) .
    All is born from my old wanted to made experiment ...and new problem...google photos' bonus of 100 gb finished :P

So, i bought all for create an home NAS box that can be energy saver and have things for backup important things (an other stuff like DLNA, etc).
    So, i had (before read here), clear idea of my configuration for storage: 1 ssd for OS, 1 normal disk for home share folder (temporary things, downloads, etc) and 2 disk WD red of 4TB in raid 1 for only my backup things (this is the bad idea).
    After read suggestions of user @tkaiser i understand that really raid 1 is maybe not a good idea.

What i want obatain is a place for keep my personal things: photos and video of phone (nextcloud plugin can do this), old video ported from film videocamera, raw photos of reflex, documents, etc, with almost normal safe .. (I understand that is not perfect configuration due to fire accidents or other things.. but some intermediate security can be accepted).

I want also that OMV keep my backup disk in sleeping mode when i don't write nothing on them ... and bring them online when some data comes from network (i hope is possible setup).

So, if i understand, what i need is not RAID 1 but something like Btrfs (wich is in development).

I hope someone can help me to clarify my confusion...but is better know all now than change after.

Thank you very much for help

Marco

• Offizieller Beitrag

RAID is about availablility. You probably do not need availablilty.

For backup strategy follow the link in my signature or use google.

For your purpose you can use ext4 as filesystem. It is mature and many tools are available for it. If you want something more modern use ZFS or BTRFS. Most functions in BTRFS are ok: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Status
    However, to use the additional functions ZFS and BTRFS provide you need to spend some time to learn how to use them.

My recommendation: start simple, learn and be prepared to change to more advanced configurations once you have the basics.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I used to have a RAID 1 in my NAS. Now I have one disk as primary drive. On a regular basis I sync the data from this disk to the other disk in the NAS using the rsnapshot plugin. Doing so I have snapshots of the data, so it is posssible to go back in time and recover previous versions.

In addition to this I sync the drive to the Odroid. The Odroid is turned on and off automatically and the sync job is started accordingly. On top I use the USB backup plugin to save data to an external drive, which I can carry to an external location.

Finally I backup the most important data to the cloud using Duplicati.

For the backup of the clients (Laptops) to the NAS I use Urbackup.

• Thank you very much macom, you give me another way and point of view.

So in my case, the 2 disk of 4 TB can be used not for raid 1, but maybe for another thing.

I need to test BTRFS for undestand if is relyable and i can use for backups and restore.

is possible to make something in OMV to sleep a disk and power on only when someone try to access from network share (use of the disk)?

Thanks

• is possible to make something in OMV to sleep a disk and power on only when someone try to access from network share (use of the disk)?

Yes. In the settings for the disks it is possible to define a spindown time for each disk.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!