Device not showing?

• I installed Open Media vault on a P4, 2.8Ghz, 1 Terabyte HDD, SATA drive,
    Hard drive shows as dev/sda ST10000DM003-1ch1 capacity 931.5GB

When I go to filesystem, create select device, nothing is shown? no drives show?

Any help on this would be apprectiated!
    Dennis

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wipe it in Physical Drives (unless you have data on it).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "cdt"

I installed Open Media vault on a P4, 2.8Ghz, 1 Terabyte HDD, SATA drive,
    Hard drive shows as dev/sda ST10000DM003-1ch1 capacity 931.5GB

When I go to filesystem, create select device, nothing is shown? no drives show?

Any help on this would be apprectiated!
    Dennis

Just to be clear.. if you only have 1 drive in the system... You can't use that drive to store data, only for the OS. In other words, you'll need 1 drive dedicated to the operating system, and 1 drive for your data. 1tb is crazy for an OS drive.. the OS itself can be installed on as little as 7-8gigs (don't use a flash drive..).

• There are certain ways to use the OMV Drive as a Data Share, but remember that it is not implemented in OMV, so you would have to do it yourself.
    If you want to use it grab a gparted Live CD/USB and shrink your OS installation to 20GiBs or so, eneugh that you can store Plex media files etc. pp. Now you create a second partition with Ext4 or XFS Filesystem. Apply and reboot into OMV. You can now use that second partition.

Greetings
    david

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks,
    I really appreciate everyone's help on this, I thought you could setup up a folder for data storage, So I m going to try Gparted and shrink the OS, and create the ext partition.
    Again Thanks to everyone!
    Dennis

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "cdt"

Thanks,
    I really appreciate everyone's help on this, I thought you could setup up a folder for data storage, So I m going to try Gparted and shrink the OS, and create the ext partition.
    Again Thanks to everyone!
    Dennis

I think there's a lot of logic in having your operating system separate from your data.. (old laptop drives can be had cheap.. even free if you can find a broken laptop/netbook)...

Beyond that though.. good luck w/ it.

• Well Success!
    I shrank the OS to 20 GB, and created the XFS partiton, while in GParted, It showed in File System as remaining size of 907 GB, Then mounted.
    The question I have is , For Users I need to create a data storage area, SO in Shared folders I created Data Store folder, saw the volume of xfs, 907gb,
    but then the path to the folder I assume does not show? I clicked on the browse button to the left, where it states select directory, None is shown.
    What would be the path to this directory or folder?
    Thanks

• It is normal that it shows nothing, because there is nothing on the disk. Call it whateveryouwant, like "datastore"...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Thank you very much David!
    Can users access this data store when they login, or is it done through FTP?
    Im not familiar with this NAS, as in Windows where you can Map a Data Store as a drive letter, etc.
    Dennis

• If you want to map it via drive letter you would use SMB/CIFS.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!