Plex cannot see the shared folders - only the disk

• Hi,

I have managed to get an OMV server up and running. Furthermore I have installed the Plex Media Server on it. But in configuring the PMS, adding the libraries I only see the disk, but not the Shared folder. But I tnink I am trying too hard... There must be an easier way to locate the shared folders from my OMV server??? :?:

I have searched for the shared folder 'Vault' which I found located here: /srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-TOSHIBA_External_USB_3.0_20171027000633F-0-0-part1/Vault
    But I do not see my created subfolders for my different media (Movies, TV_Shows, Photos, Music etc).

What may be the trouble here?

I have looked high and low to find the proper folder location to direct Plex to... but it escapes me... Heeelp!

• In the PMS application, if you can see the disk, but not the folders that contain your media, then those folders do not have the appropriate permissions to allow Plex to read those folders.

So, the two basic questions that must be answered are:

What user:group is Plex running as?

What are the ownership and permissions on the folders that hold your media?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks gderf,

If I am looking at the right folder (which I'm not sure of on OMV), I can see these permissions on the levels of media:

:/srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-TOSHIBA_External_USB_3.0_20171027000633F-0-0-part1/Vault/Media# ls -l
    total 32
    drwxrws---+ 41 root users 4096 Mar 16 15:58 Movies
    drwxrws---+ 5 root users 4096 Mar 16 14:55 Music
    drwxrws---+ 4 root users 4096 Mar 16 17:06 Photos
    drwxrws---+ 2 root users 4096 Mar 16 10:39 TV_Shows

and the next level of Movies which is relevant with Plex:
    /srv/dev-disk-by-id-usb-TOSHIBA_External_USB_3.0_20171027000633F-0-0-part1/Vault/Media/Movies# ls -l
    total 870740
    drwxrws---+ 2 Morten users 4096 Mar 16 11:16 XXXXXX (Movie title)

These lines all look alike

And down another level into one movie's folder:
    -rw-rw----+ 1 root users 829003454 Oct 22 16:16 XXx

Do I have a permissions issue that I need to fix in OMV admin GUI or in Midnight Commander or from CLI...

• Look in OMV's Access Rights Management.

See if you have a user named plex if not add it.

See if you have a group named users if not add it and add the user plex to the users group.

Then try and see if Plex will now see your folders.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks again gderf,

I tried to add user plex, and group 'users' comprising user 'plex'.

But I get these errors

Adding user 'plex'
    -------
    Unauthorized attempt to modify the system user account 'plex'
    -------
    Error #0:exception 'OMV\Exception' with message 'Unauthorized attempt to modify the system user account 'plex'' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/usermgmt.inc:468Stack trace:#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceUserMgmt->setUser(Array, Array)#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setUser', Array, Array)#3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'setUser', Array, Array, 1)#4 {main}
    --------

And when adding group 'users'
    -------
    Unauthorized attempt to modify the system group account 'users'
    -------
    Error #0:exception 'OMV\Exception' with message 'Unauthorized attempt to modify the system group account 'users'' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/usermgmt.inc:813Stack trace:#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceUserMgmt->setGroup(Array, Array)#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setGroup', Array, Array)#3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'setGroup', Array, Array, 1)#4 {main}
    -------
    Any ideas as to go further?

• Thanks again gderf,

But I get these errors

Adding user 'plex'
    -------
    -------
    Error #0:exception 'OMV\Exception' with message 'Unauthorized attempt to modify the system user account 'plex'' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/usermgmt.inc:468Stack trace:#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceUserMgmt->setUser(Array, Array)#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setUser', Array, Array)#3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'setUser', Array, Array, 1)#4 {main}
    --------

-------
    -------
    Error #0:exception 'OMV\Exception' with message 'Unauthorized attempt to modify the system group account 'users'' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/usermgmt.inc:813Stack trace:#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceUserMgmt->setGroup(Array, Array)#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setGroup', Array, Array)#3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'setGroup', Array, Array, 1)#4 {main}
    -------

• Thanks again gderf,

But I get these errors

Adding user 'plex'
    -------
    -------
    --------

So I cannot add my user with a system user name 'plex' it is already there...

-------
    -------
    -------

And I cannot add the an already existing system group 'users'.

• Since the user plex already exists and the group users already exists, then try adding the user plex to the group users.

--

• I wasn't perhaps clear. In the system there is a plex user. This is not my created user, but the user that Plex created. So I cannot edit this user in Web GUI.

Maybe there is a CLI command to add user plex to users group...

So I Googled and found that I might do it this way:

root@plexmediavault:/# usermod -a -G users plex
    root@plexmediavault:/# groups
    root LAN
    root@plexmediavault:/# sudo groupadd users
    groupadd: group 'users' already exists
    root@plexmediavault:/# groups
    root LAN
    root@plexmediavault:/# groups plex
    plex : plex users
    root@plexmediavault:/#

So now it seems that plex is added to the group users, and should be able to read and write to the movie folder under Media.

But I still can't see the folder /Vault/(Movies/_New) I cannot see the folders in parenthesis...

Any thoughts

• Did you restart the server? Try to do this

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• So now it seems that plex is added to the group users, and should be able to read and write to the movie folder under Media.

But I still can't see the folder /Vault/(Movies/_New) I cannot see the folders in parenthesis...

Any thoughts

I would at this point, consider changing the permissions and ownership of all your media files and folder. Have a look at the Plex Permissions Guide here:

https://support.plex.tv/articl…-linux-permissions-guide/

--

• OK - finally I found the solution. As you are hinting. The problem was that my upper structure had other permissions. So when I read this thread
    https://superuser.com/question…-with-correct-permissions
    It dawned on me that I had to give Plex and debian-transmission write access to my folder structure recursively for this to work.

And it did! Thank you for yor efforts.

One other thing - about permissions.

I have a Windows app that I run in my clien Win10 PC. This app 'MusicIP Mixer' tries to insert MP3 Tags into the mp3 residing in my Music folder, and are obviously denied access to do so. How may I check the logs, to see what this user is called, so I can add this user to the allowed permissions. Is there a write attempt log somewhere I can peruse?

Thanks guys

• You could relax the permissions on the Music folder to allow "others" to write there, but I would be careful with this because it could allow anyone to erase all your files should they gain access somehow.

I'm not very fluent on SMB stuff, but there has to be a way to make this work without doing what I suggest above. Maybe someone else can jump in and help.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!