Some questions on the possibilities of OMV

• Hi,
    I'm a newbie so I hope this is the right place to post my questions.
    I've installed OMV 4.0.14-1(Arrakis) on a ssd (a testing version???) and I use two hd WD in Raid 1 configuration, ssd is /dev/sda1 and Raid is /dev/md0.
    I have created several users, one of them with sudo privileges.

I want use OMV like a nas and webserver too, so:

1) I would like to manage the whole filesystem of sda1 via Filezilla but it seems it is not possible either as a root user or as a sudo user, only md0 is visible.

2) Only md0 can be managed by the admin via the web so I can not share folders present in sda1.

3) Useres can not manage their own folders and files via web but only via FTP ar samba, the only possible job on web is to manage personal information. Is there a plugin for this?

4) Is there a plugin to connect via HDMI or wifi a TV to browse video files and play them as in nas qnap?

Thanks!

• 1) sda1 is your system drive. You are not supposed to use it to store data, which is why it is not available in OMV.
    2) Yes, that's normal. Your data goes on the data drives. Only the system should be on the system drive.
    3) No there is no plugin. A NAS is typically used over Samba, NFS, FTP, or WebDAV. If you want something like Dropbox, then you need to install Nextcloud.
    4) No, because that is not what a NAS is for. If you want a multimedia machine, you could connect a Raspberry Pi to your TV with Kodi or Plex to read the files that are served by the NAS.

• Thanks Nibb31
    1) I do not want to store data on sda1, I just want to manage the filesystem more comfortably and not connecting directly to the nas machine with the keyboard, and out of house too.
    3) For other family members and other divice like cellphone ftp is not an easy method, better a web solution, hope in the future. I try nexcloud.

• Thank tinh-x7
    For point 1 I will try other way, modify the proftpd.conf in the VRootAlias and mod_auth.c points seems to work.
    For nextcloud I do not know nginx so I do not understand how to proceed to step 1e of the guide.
    The images of "Edit pool" seem to indicate that I should proceed in a graphical environment,
    but I have installed the basic version of omv 4 without it. So my next step is to study nginx.

• Regarding point 4 (if I understand you correctly), depending on the TV, the capabilities of the NAS hardware and your WiFi speed you should be able to browse the NAS and play media files using DLNA, Plex, or Logitech Media Server. I have an LG Smart TV and I can play videos stored on my NAS over the network using any of those methods. I use a mixture of Ethernet cable and power line connections rather than wifi, so no idea how stable video playback is over WiFi. My guess is that if your TV is a smart TV from the past 3 years or so then you should be fine, if your TV is older then the TV might see the NAS on the network but might or might not be able to play media files (my last TV couldn’t play network media).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!