Migration from 2.2.14 To 4.0.14 with fresh install

• Hi all,

I'm trying to undestand if my configuration could be succesfully migrated to the new openmediavault release

Actually I have

1HD 80GB SATA for OS
    5HD 4TB for DATA Raid5 Software from Openmediavault
    Pentium G3250
    8GB RAM
    Motherboard Asus Z87-K

I would like to detach the 80GB HD and then add two new 80GB in mirror configuration on the mobo. Then on these I would install a fresh new openmediavault 4.0 release. My question is if I do this the new system will automatically recognize that there is a software raid 5 on the other 5 disk or I risk to loose all my data?

Alex

• I'm trying to undestand if my configuration could be succesfully migrated to the new openmediavault release

If you install from scratch we advise to save /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and have it available when you reconfigure your new installation. Copying this file to your new Installation is not advised.

I would like to detach the 80GB HD and then add two new 80GB in mirror configuration on the mobo.

Any specifics why you want to migrate to a mirror on the OS Disk? We highly recommended against a RAID configuration in the Motherboard, since it's called fake raid and doesn't give you any benefits at all - it rather has the downside that the raid may no longer work if you have to move it to another Motherboard.

My question is if I do this the new system will automatically recognize that there is a software raid 5 on the other 5 disk or I risk to loose all my data?

It will automatically detect the raid + filesystem and will allow you to mount it again.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!