PLEX via Docker - .config on Storage Not System

• OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• And under OMV the folder /sharedfolder/Docker-Configs the user "Wuzzi" has read/write access and under "ACL" I also added "docker" with read/write (don't know if it's good or not but I did it anyway).

I guess that I've described everything that you can get it to run. If not don't hesitate to ask.

BTW: my data are all on in one folder - /sharedfolder/Medien (in Englisch "media") and in this folder I have sub-folders with "series", "movies", "music" and so on but this is enough that you can point the necessary folders to plex

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Could this have anything to do with my data volume being a UnionFS mount?
    If so how do I solve?

I have received many great leads here and I might have a bit of time today to break my server some more. @Huberer and @gderf have given much to work with.

It seems that mergerfs is a sticky booger, when it comes to PLEX and others.

Here is another reference that I will be working on understanding.

My current mergerfs options:
    fuse.mergerfs defaults,allow_other,use_ino,dropcacheonclose=true,func.getattr=newest,category.create=ff,minfreespace=765G 0 0

I am baffled by some of Docker UI base settings regarding locating data files. Perhaps @flvinny521 can help me sort their intentions.
    The location of the Docker base path (this setting is optional and defaults to /var/lib/docker if unset).
    Source path for copying of Docker image/container data
    Destination path

Thanks
    I will let you know of my progress.

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • Do NOT point your Plex Media Server database folder (.config in the docker) to a mergerfs mount point. It serves no purpose to do so and if this mergerfs mountpoint has a policy that allows more than one physical drive to contain this data it will be scattered across multiple drives and might break Plex. Just pick a single actual physical drive mountpoint for this. But do keep in mind that depending on how you run Plex, this database can grow to be quite large - hundreds of gigabytes is not unusual. So chose wisely to avoid having to move it later.

For your Plex Media Server media files, you can and should use mergerfs mount points for this.

The location of the Docker base path is where all the docker containers are written to and stored. The default is /var/lib/docker on the rootfs. If your rootfs is on a small SSD or flash drive /var/lib/docker probably isn't a good choice. Use one of your large data drives instead.

Source path for copying of Docker image/container data is the current location of the containers. You only need to specify this if you already have containers and you want to move them to another location. The destination path is the new location for the containers if you are moving them.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Here is what I have done today:

Stopped PLEX container
    # cp -r /home/whale/.config/ /srv/7911fa44-a322-442c-a434-6c2ad2f3b1ff/whale/.config/
    # chown whale:users -R /srv/7911fa44-a322-442c-a434-6c2ad2f3b1ff/whale/.config/
    # ls -lah /srv/7911fa44-a322-442c-a434-6c2ad2f3b1ff/whale/.config/
    Checked that folders were executable: drwxr-xr-x 3 whale users 4.0K Apr 3 09:45 plex
    In Docker UI; pointed /config from: /home/whale/.config/plex to: /srv/7911fa44-a322-442c-a434-6c2ad2f3b1ff/whale/.config/plex
    Started PLEX container

When I # du -sh /srv/7911fa44-a322-442c-a434-6c2ad2f3b1ff/whale/.config/plex/Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/*
    I can see that it is growing.

So far so much better. For now I am going to watch this on my test box and see if my desires are fulfilled.

I am reviewing @gderf 's concerns regarding the scattering of container configuration data across multiple drives. I wonder if this concern of breaking PLEX'es functionality is put at ease with @trapexit 's suggested changes in the fstab file — which is still a mystery to me, as one issue is order of configurations that supered previous.
    fuse.mergerfs defaults,allow_other,use_ino,dropcacheonclose=true,func.getattr=newest,category.create=ff,minfreespace=765G 0 0
    Can anyone tell me if these setting need be reordered or changed?

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ajaja ()

• I can't make any suggestions about how you configure and use mergerfs to sit your needs as those needs and what hardware you have available are unknown to me. I still stand by my suggestion not to point Plex's database folder to a mergerfs mountpoint.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The order of options means nothing unless you're duplicating an option (last version wins).

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly. If you wish to store Plex's config through mergerfs you have to disable direct_io and as mentioned in the docs it is suggested you turn on drop cache which you have. Ideally Plex would not use mmap but it is what it is.

If you put the config elsewhere you can use direct_io just fine. My own library is available to plex through a direct_io enabled mount.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!