Problems with network graphs?

• Hi mates!

I have been fighting with a OMV installation over a fresh Debian (any flavour) install for a few hours. Each time, the the graphs for the eth0 nic card won't show and I didn't know why.
    If I try a fresh OMV installation from the OMV iso the ethX graph would work... Why it isn't working if I install first Debian and then OMV?

Finally I've got the solution (I've seen some of you asking in the forums, I hope it helps).

The problem is that if you install your OMV from the original iso that can be downloaded from OpenMediaVault.org the rrd files that are used to make the graphs with the command omv-mkgraph are located in: /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/interface and are named like: if_errors-ethX.rrd if_octets-ethX.rrd if_packets-ethX.rrd
    where if you install first debian, and after that, from the OMV repository, install OMV with apt-get (OR aptitude) the rrd files that are used to make the graphs are located in:
    /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/interface-ethX/ and are named like: if_errors.rrd if_octets.rrd if_packets.rrd

That's why the command omv-mkgraph can't generate the graphs, because the path is different.

I have fixed it with symbolic links, because I don't know where I can define the correct path to save the files. I could it fix it editing omv-mkgraph but it was easier (and safer) making the three symbolic links.

Do you know in which file is defined the path and the naming rules for the rrd files?

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Install your nics via web-gui and you will not have this issue.

Thanks tekkbebe but...

I have tried installing them via web-gui and it's the same problem... Because I was testing in a virtual machine, I also tried to add a new nic and the path was still incorrect.
    When I add the second nic the path to the rrd file is /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/interface-eth1/ and the files are named if_xxxxx.rrd and it has to be exactly the opposite, the path should be always /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/interface/ and the files have to be named after the nic interface, so... if_xxxxx-eth0.rrd if_xxxxx-eth1.rrd and so on...

• OK, I read your post more thoroughly. What version of Debian are you installing? We've had many people install Debian Squeeze 1st and then OMV on top, myself included, and no one has ever had this issue. OMV is currently based on Debian Squeeze. The next relase, .5x, of OMV will still be based on Squeeze. Then .6 OMV is supposed to move to Wheezy. Could you be more specific on which version of Debian you are installing?

• Tekkbebe, i just checked my install. My graphs look broken too. Manual install.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• SORRY.
    My Mistake, i was looking at eth0, instead of eth1! eth1 has graphs!
    And yes, eth1 is my used NIC....

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

hehe, we wait and see what he is installing.

Maybe that's the problem. We are using the actual stable version of debian, wheezy.
    We are use wheezy because the kernel can detect our motheboard sensors with lm-sensors. Maybe downgrading to squezze and upgrading just the kernel we won't have this problem...

• Did you try the backports kernel?

Greetings
    David

• I understand. I'm in this boat as well. The board I used to build my OMV cannot detect sensors. I just have to wait and in time it will with upgrades. Hopefully Wheezy does the trick once OMV gets there. You can try Squeeze Backports but if it does not work it's just a decision you'll have to make. I'm more of a Fedora (my fav) guy myself. Having to use Debian pains me. I prefer leading edge but Volker is for stability. Volker is just outright a Deb guy.

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Did you try the backports kernel?

Greetings
    David

Hi David,

Yes, it work perfectly. I have also add the temperature graphs for the cpu and the hard disks, they look great!

To update the kernel I just added the squeezy backports repository and search for the last linux-image deb.
    And as I said... Everything looks working perfectly.

Now that I have more experience with graphs, how to omv-mkgraph and collectd.conf are created, maybe I will try to make them work with a updated version of Debian... Just for testing proposes

Many thanks :)

• I am running into a problem since I bonded my two network interfaces. The bonding is working great but the graphs do not show up. I get a sad face for the graphs under the bond0 in the interfaces tab in the web-gui. I see a interface-bond0 in the /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost directory. Is there something I need to do to get rrd to start generating the graphs?

• Check in the omv-mkgraph wich path is use to generate the graphs... Also you can try to set any parameter of the bond interface and apply changes, it, sometimes fixes the problems.

• I found the same problem as the OP.

The interface graphs are located in:
    /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/interface-eth0

And the files are titled:
    if_errors.rrd
    if_octets.rrd
    if_packets.rrd

The /usr/sbin/omv-mkgraph script was looking for /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/interface/if_octets-ethX.rrd.

To resolve the problem i edited the script using gedit (for the simple GUI search replace) replacing all instances of:
    interface/if_octets-${devicename}
    with:
    interface-${devicename}/if_octets

Went back to the System | Interface page and clicked refresh and after a few seconds the graphs were present and accounted for!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you using Debian Squeeze? I assume not because collectd writes the files as implemented in the OMV scripts. OMV is only adapted and tested on Debian Squeeze at the moment.

• Since you are running it on a Pi here is a topic about OMV on a Pi and it may have some other clues to help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!