Move /home folder to Data Drive

• What is the method to move /home to my data volume?
    Such as /srv/driveVolume/home/

The reason I am asking is so my docker configuration and PLEX database will not blowup my USB stick.

Will moving /home fix this?
    For that matter what about /var ?

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • You don't need to move /home to do this. Just don't point your docker files or Plex Database to /home.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• ...Just don't point your docker files or Plex Database to /home.

For me it does not seem to be that simple. My attempts to do so have come up short. Would someone be willing to explain a procedure to point them elsewhere?

Version7.0-32 (Sandworm)
    ProcessorAMD EPYC 7302P 16-Core Processor
    KernelLinux 6.1.15-1-pve
    HardwareDell R7515
  • For me it does not seem to be that simple. My attempts to do so have come up short. Would someone be willing to explain a procedure to point them elsewhere?

There is nothing complicated about this. But you really need to gain some experience with the Linux bash shell.

Create a directory on the drive where you want. It doesn't matter what the name is, so it may as well be something meaningful.

Change the ownership to be the same user and group that the docker instance of the program is running as.

Change the permissions on the directory to 2755. You can go looser or maybe tighter, but it's not a good idea to grant more permission than needed.

That's it. Now just use that directory as the target for the docker Host Path.

DO NOT create an OMV shared folder or apply ACL with this directory. Do all the creation, ownership and permission settings in the shell.

Here is how I would do it here in the shell to create a Plex Media Server database directory on one of my data hard drives while logged into OMV as an ordinary user named fred (1001) who belongs to the users group (100):

mkdir /srv/dev-disk-by-label-dp1/plexmediaserver-database
    chown fred:users /srv/dev-disk-by-label-dp1/plexmediaserver-database
    chmod 2755 /srv/dev-disk-by-label-dp1/plexmediaserver-database

Next, in the Plex Docker I point the /config container path variable to the Host path variable /srv/dev-disk-by-label-dp1/plexmediaserver-database

The Plex Docker has, among other settings: PUID 1001 and PGUID 100

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!