No Network Device, No IP, No eth0 Troubleshoot

• Good day everyone,

First of all thanks to each and everyone of you who contribute to the creation and upkeep of OMV. I will be the first to admit I am a total newbie when it comes to the system but I have had some experiences lately which I cannot even begin to understand so looking for some assistance if at all possible. Yes, I have searched the forum and yes, I do understand that Arrakis is still not officially released.

I have only been using the system for a couple of months and figured through reading to go ahead and start using OMV 4.1.1. I don't recall having similar problems with the previous version but many I have seen said go ahead and update. I had assigned a fixed IP through my router (since removed). I will now go and assign a fixed IP it through the OMV Web GUI.

It has taken me two days to actually get an IP address that I could login to. That was with using omv-firstaid (i have a monitor and keyboard setup) coming up with an error every time I used first aid.Plus the "No Network Devices on boot too. Even using ip r s would not be recognised along with ifconfig not been recognised either (command not found) eth0 doesn't exist either, I am sure I have managed all of the above with ease previously. My network adapter is onboard, the system runs well when it's up. But really should it take me two days to get an IP from the machine and even then I got it through booting up into recovery and then using ip r s and then I was able to get an IP. My router was also previously not showing an IP either but now yes.

Sorry for the long winded post, can someone offer up any help on the above as I am not completely clear what caused it or for that matter how to fix it other than what I described. As far as I can see all updates are installed.I just did a reboot from being in recovery mode and it seems to be up and running again without any issue. Even still I would welcome some advice if someone would care to offer some please.

I love the system when it is up and running and have been able to share media around the house on phones, tablets and other devices, work on shared documents and even working with RSYNC a little (successfully). I am taking it day by day before finally getting all my data residing on the machine but baby steps and trial and error.

Thanks again for all of the support and material on the forum.
    Regards,
    Graham

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you read announcement pinned to every section? Solutions to common problems

The last answer will tell you that the login screen saying there is no ip address means nothing. Just that the network adapter didn't have an address when the dynamically generated message of the day was generated. ip r s shows the route and is not what you want. You want ip addr to see the address. ifconfig is deprecated by debian but not needed anyway.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the support:

1. No I had not seen the last question, thanks for that observation and pointing me towards that rather easy fix. There were other error messages when trying to connect with omv-firstaid indicating that the connection was denied etc. Still baffled why that even happened.

2. I had assigned a fixed IP within the main router which seemed to work well until it then reassigned another address for some reason (not sure why). I think I have the dhcp addresses starting after 20 on the router so that should be easy enough.

Brilliant advice guys, thanks. I also posted the original post and got an error when doing so. Really surprised the post even got sent!!

Thanks again for the responses.
    Regards,
    Graham

• Very true on the “Post” issue, very true. I have also seen errors trying to access the forums too, just by using the url to omv forums.
    Let me check out my router and get back to you on the fixed IP, was going to use something below 20.

Thanks flmaxey!

• Hi everyone,

Struggling in obtaining an IP Address for OMV. I had a previously assigned fixed IP (assigned in Web GUI), that there were no issues with. After a power cut a couple of days ago I am now not able to find any IP to connect to the machine by the Web GUI. Cannot retrieve an IP by using ip r s or by using ip addr, the machine is not showing up on the Router Client list either, several reboots and still no IP. I have gone in through omv-firstaid also. I can login with root and I can see during the reboot the machine stalls at "a start job is running for Raise Network Interfaces" it then says "started raised network services".

Just now trying to reset through omv-firstaid it says Failed to execute command - Cannot Create Socket to localhost 2812 - Connection Refused.

Any assistance would be greatly received. I have tried this with an onboard network card and PCI card too, same problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any assistance would be greatly received.

Far be it from to throw a curve ball into the mix, but if both lights are alight on the NIC then it's working at both ends, but I think yours maybe related to something else.

Take a look a the first post on this thread

• Both lights are functioning on the onboard NIC.

That's an indication that the hardware is functional and linking up. It says nothing about the OS seeing and communicating with the hardware.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I ran that without success after reboot will try again in the morning.

Any tips for a rebuild? Keep all the other drives attached or attach them after reinstall?

Thanks for the support guys, much appreciated indeed.

• Just now trying to reset through omv-firstaid it says Failed to execute command - Cannot Create Socket to localhost 2812 - Connection Refused

If this happened directly after reboot and you're not already at most recent OMV version that's quite normal (has been fixed half a year ago). Can you ensure that you wait(ed) at least 2 minutes after reboot before issuing this command? And maybe provide/check contents of /etc/network/interfaces.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I ran that command and got Permission Denied

That isn't a command. It is a file. use cat /etc/network/interfaces

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't read the whole thread but that is probably what he wants.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!