[solved]can i install OMV to SD or USB in x86?

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [solved]can i install OMV to SD or USB in x86?

Hi.

i'm used omv by rasberry pi with 8TB external HDD, but its speed isn't enough to use..

so i bought intel J3455 system. (Asrock J3455-ITX) but i forgot to buy another storage for install OMV.

So... can i use USB or SDcard to install OMV?

I also have a reader that can connect SD card directly to USB
    • Do you mean install OMV from a USB or SD
      or
      install it to a USB or SD ?

Either is possible - use something like Etcher to write an installation ISO to USB/SD

If you mean installing it to a USB or SD, then the main thing is to turn on the flash memory plugin:
      e.g. see omv on a SDHC card

This plugin is on by default for RaspPi and similar devices, but wouldn't be on by default in x86
      OMV 3 (moving to 4) on Raspberry Pi 3, Odroid C2, HP Proliant N36L and N54L
    • First, you can install to a USB drive or an SD-card and use it as your boot drive.

The easiest way to do it (in my opinion) is to download the ISO and burn it to a CD (or DVD). With a clean and tested USB drive or SD card plugged in, boot on the CD and when you get to it, in the install, select the USB drive or SD-card.

The flashmemory plugin is not loaded by default in the x86 install. That's true. You'd need to enable it by following the instructions here.

After you upload the file, (EDIT: the OMV-Extra's plugin will appear in the plugin's page. You'll need to go back into the plug-in's page and install the OMVExtras plugin.)

Then go into System, OMVExtras and enable the OMVExtras.org Testing repo.

Finally, you'll see the flashmemory plugin, in the plugins page. Install it and look at the instructions found under Storage, Flash memory to complete the install.

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• flmaxey wrote:

First, you can install to a USB drive or an SD-card and use it as your boot drive.

The easiest way to do it (in my opinion) is to download the ISO and burn it to a CD (or DVD). With a clean and tested USB drive or SD card plugged in, boot on the CD and when you get to it, in the install, select the USB drive or SD-card.

The flashmemory plugin is not loaded by default in the x86 install. That's true. You'd need to enable it by following the instructions here.

After you upload the file, go into System, OMVExtras and enable the OMVExtras.org Testing repo

Then you'll see the flashmemory plugin, in the plugins page. Install it and look at the instructions under Storage, Flash memory to complete the install.

NothingNowhere wrote:

Do you mean install OMV from a USB or SD
      or
      install it to a USB or SD ?

Either is possible - use something like Etcher to write an installation ISO to USB/SD

If you mean installing it to a USB or SD, then the main thing is to turn on the flash memory plugin:
      e.g. see omv on a SDHC card

This plugin is on by default for RaspPi and similar devices, but wouldn't be on by default in x86

Thanks for answers. i'll try to install to sd card!!
    • See the edit in my post. I missed a step.

• If you install a lot of dockers or plugins, you will have to put in a lot of extra effort to make sure all these plugins are writing to disks other than the SD card,

my install with OMV3, sonarr, radarr, nzbget, lazylibrarian writes about 900mb per day to the system disk, and this is with the "flash plugin" installed! This is enough to kill a small sd card fairly quickly

if you can spare a sata port, you could just get a cheap SSD. For ease of mind, and ease of install.....

J3455 looks like a great board for a NAS! cheap, powerful and 4 sata ports (on the asrock mitx one). I am also looking to get one.

also: crazy that the itx version has 4 sata ports, and the asrock m-atx version only has 2 sata ports........ i wanted to re-use my dimm ddr3, but the only j3455 board with 4 sata ports is the m-itx one which only supports sodimm......

The post was edited 1 time, last by wowter ().

• wowter wrote:

If you install a lot of dockers or plugins, you will have to put in a lot of extra effort to make sure all these plugins are writing to disks other than the SD card,

my install with OMV3, sonarr, radarr, nzbget, lazylibrarian writes about 900mb per day to the system disk, and this is with the "flash plugin" installed! This is enough to kill a small sd card fairly quickly

if you can spare a sata port, you could just get a cheap SSD. For ease of mind, and ease of install.....

J3455 looks like a great board for a NAS! cheap, powerful and 4 sata ports (on the asrock mitx one). I am also looking to get one.

also: crazy that the itx version has 4 sata ports, and the asrock m-atx version only has 2 sata ports........ i wanted to re-use my dimm ddr3, but the only j3455 board with 4 sata ports is the m-itx one which only supports sodimm......

uh..... it's not good a t omv3. i spend 4hours for install...

but in omv4 i think it is good
    • If trying to save a sata port, there are SSD to USB3 adapters. It's not the best interface for an SSD, obviously, but it saves a port. (And I'd still use the flash memory plugin.)