Any issues using M.2 SSD in PCIe for storage drive?

• I'm scoping out all the new-to-me hardware for my first NAS hardware upgrade in about 9 years, and I came upon a fantastic deal on a 1TB M.2 SSD.

I am wondering if there are any issues I should be aware of if I want to use a PCIe v2.0 x16 slot with OMV for a storage drive? Is it really just as easy as SATA?

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• I came upon a fantastic deal on a 1TB M.2 SSD

How fantastic? 'To good to be true' fantastic?

You know that counterfeit flash media is a problem since decades? And that this problem arrived at mSATA SSDs already (counterfeit samsung evo850)? What about M.2?

M.2 is just a mechanical connector responsible for a lot of confusion due to 'keying'. There exist M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe/NVMe SSDs. A SATA M.2 SSD will not work directly in any PCIe slot. A PCIe/NVMe SSD can result in boot troubles (you need latest bootloader and kernel support).

A NVMe SSD as data drive should always work these days but is more or less weird since unless your server has 10GbE or even 40GbE you won't make use of the performance (since network will be the bottleneck with a NAS use case)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!