hdparm not working properly with esxi

• hi,

I am using omv within my esxi server. I want to use hdparm to monitor whether the the hdds are spinning or not but i am getting error and it always indicates that the hdds are in standby mode.
    This is the command i am using

Code
    hdparm -C /dev/sda

and the output im getting

Code
    SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:   70 00 00 00 00 00 00 18 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 09 0c 00 00 00 ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 40 50
     drive state is: standby

The error is the same with each hdds
    Anyone having the same problem with esxi? are there alternative methods to get hdd state information?
    Below are my relevant configurations:
    - esxi 5.0.0
    - scsi controller lsi logic parallel (i am getting the same issue with lsi logic sas and paravirtual)
    - hdd drives all mapped raw lun

• I can't confirm this behavior in my NAS with OMV (without ESXi):

Zitat

root@NAS:~# hdparm -C /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
    drive state is: active/idle

Perhaps you should consider updating ESXi to 5.1? :)

Take a look here:
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/01/msg01361.html
    Seems to be a common problem for constellation. Try a new driver (perhaps solved in ESXI 5.1) of your controller ...

• I am using the 5.0 because it works with the nic that i am using while the 5.1 does not. If 5.1 solves this issue it is worth a try and hopefully they have already fix the problem with my nic but I am using the server also as router so long downtime is not preferable, i hope someone using omv within esxi 5.1 can post output of hdparm.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!