is it viable to upgrade from 0.5.53 to 4.0.14 (or Latest)?

• Hi All,
    I'm a long time user of OMV. In fact so long i've been using 0.5 since it came out and never upgraded.
    I also installed some plugins manually (omv-extras.org) and some through the cmd line.
    I've run into an issue with SMB1 and I understand OMV 3 and above support SMB3+

Whilst i could just upgrade the SAMBA part it's probably a good time for me to upgrade.

What is the path for me to go from 0.5 to 4?

My system:

Official plugins:
    openmediavault-transmissionbt 0.5.18
    openmediavault-usbbackup 0.5.10
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg 0.6.25

unoffical/ self installed programs:

Sabnzbd
    couch potato
    headphones
    sickbeard

Data:
    3 TiB on a single ext4 drive
    2 users (one is read only)
    Data (but not config) is backed up to a 3TiB USB drive

Hardware:
    intel Atom mini ITX board Linux 2.6.32-5-686

I'd rather upgrade over reinstall because:
    The motherboard does not support usb 3, so putting my data back will take a loooong time
    everything else about my config works, and i remember it being an absolute pain to getting everything to play nice (sickbeard talking to sabnzb etc).

While i understand that if it doesn't work that's a lot of time wasted, but a reinstall is likely to take me about 7-14 hours so wasting 2 hours trying to upgrade is probably worth it.

but how do i do that? apt-get upgrade?
    do i have to go .5>1>2>3>4?
    Do i need to upgrade the plugins first or second?
    I've had a look for some guides, and found this thread

Is it possible to upgrade from 0.5.60 (saudakar) to 2.x ?

which references instructions
    Is it possible to upgrade from 0.5.60 (saudakar) to 2.x ?

but that link has been removed.

• i think you have more fun when you set up a new system and spend some minutes to reconfigure.

omv 6.x | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 6.x |
    used plugins: omv-extras | portainer | rsnapshot | antivirus
    used container: portainer/portainer | nextcloud/all-in-one | linuxserver/swag | paperless-ngx | jellyfin/jellyfin | lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver | adguard/adguardhome |

• I very rarely use dist-upgrade and nearly always opt for fresh installs. With that said, I totally appreciate that it’s a pain if you’ve spent a lot of time on configs. I know this isn’t much help now, but whenever I get something working how I like it, I always type up some bullets to remind myself in case I forget. Then, if I need to fresh install, I have a reference.

Your OS and data drives are separate (at least, they should be!), why would you need to copy all your data back over USB 2? Your most pressing issue is your configs.. unfortunately that’s not going to be an easy thing to preserve even if you did have a smooth OS upgrade through that many iterations as you’ll probably find some older configs aren’t right for newer versions of your favourite services.

If it were me, I would:

1. Image OS to data drive
    2. Have a look at various configs and save them/take notes/photos
    4. Unplug data drive
    4. Fresh install OMV 4
    5. Reconnect data drive
    6. Redo configs, typing home made how-to guide

Sorry if this isn’t very helpful but I do hope you get sorted. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• thanks everyone,

Ellnic: Yes i have two separate drives. I hadn't even thought that OMV would be happy with just plugging in the data drive back in. Are the shares and user ACL's stored on the data drive?

The home made guide is a great idea. I think i actually have some notes.
    And hey, maybe it's time to try some new bits and bobs. I've been looking at flexget...

• thanks everyone,

Ellnic: Yes i have two separate drives. I hadn't even thought that OMV would be happy with just plugging in the data drive back in. Are the shares and user ACL's stored on the data drive?

The home made guide is a great idea. I think i actually have some notes.
    And hey, maybe it's time to try some new bits and bobs. I've been looking at flexget...

The info about shares is not stored on the data drive, that’s OMVs config. Not entirely sure about ACLs because I don’t use them often at all. Take some photos of the checkboxes in your OMV ACL screen then you can replicate. Flexget looks good. Looks like the install instructions are nice and straight forward, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!