Setting correct permissions on shared folder (SMB)

• Hi everybody,

i'm pretty new in using OMV and failed to set correct permissions on my shared folder.
    So ii would be great to get some help here.

I created a shared folder "A".
    I then created a subfolder "B" inside "A" and a subfolder "C" inside "B".
    It looks like this:

Folder A
    I
    I
    Subfolder B
    I
    I
    Subsubfolder C

This are my permissions for users-group:
    A: r-x
    B: r-x
    C: rwx

Then i accessed my shared folder on another pc and created some testfiles in folder C.
    Until this point all worked fine. If I made any mistakes, please feel free to tell me. :)

Now, when i select folder C and try to delete it, all the content inside C is deleted, but not C itself.

So my question is, why is all the content deleted in my example?
    I expected to get told that I'm not allowed to delete folder C when i tried and that nothing happened. Instead I got no warning and the content was deleted?
    What have I done wrong?

Thanks for your help!

• Are you using the GUI to access and create folders to share? If so when you scroll to the bottom when you're making a share. There is a box that gives the same permissions to all the sub folders. I would try that first.
    And you can change the owner of the folder. Change that to whatever user name you will be using.
    Last I would try to log into the share as the root user. If you can delete the folder as root then yes it's a permission issue.

• Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I created the shares via the GUI. I did check the box to give same permissions to the subfolders.
    I only have one user which is also the owner of my shared folders.

What i want, is that it is not possible for my user to select folder C (in example above), press "delete" and the folder's content is deleted whithout any warning.
    How to do so?
    I gave the user rwx permissions on folder C but only r-x on folder B. I don't understand what's wrong.

• Okay this is my take on it and I may be wrong.
    So the folder c that you are trying to delete resides in the b folder. You give full permissions to the c folder that allows you to do anything inside that folder. But the c folder resides in the b folder. So to be able to delete the c folder I believe you need to give the correct permissions to the b folder to be able to make changes inside it by trying to delete the c folder.

I hope that made sense and I hope it fixes your issue.

Robert

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!