Raid 5 growing

• Hello all
    Another noob here with hopefully an easy question.

So I used 4 8tb drives and used OMV to set them into a Raid 5. I like the software and the speed of the NAS so I now have 2 More 88tb drives to add so I want to grow the array.

So my question would be. Can I add both new drives at once then tell OMV to grow the array? Or do I have to add one disk and grow the array and then repeat with the second new drive?

So can I add them both at once or do I have to add them one at a time?

Thanks for any help in advance. Just getting my self sorted so when the drives get here I can install them and actually do it correctly.

:)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does the array go offline while it is growing. Or Does it continue to file share while it's rebuilding?

It stays online but accessing can greatly slow down the rebuild.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• lol I noticed spell correct was changing it to 88tb I thought I caught them all . lol

Okay I have to edit this because I can't find the time it takes to add a drive to the array. I shutdown and installed one new 8tb drive. Booted up logged in thru root gui. Wiped the new drive then hit grow and selected the new drive and added it to the array. Hit save then apply pops up so I apply. It appears to apply but I don't see anywhere thru the gui to see the progress of the addition of this drive to the array.
    So someone please tell me where to look for the status of this operation. Because i looked thru every page and I can't see it. :(

So another update. Apparently my raid growing did not start when I hit grow. I found the info area of the array and it showed five disc now. But the new one I just put in was called a spare.
    So with done research I found this command.

mdadm --grow /dev/mdX --size=max

After running that I now see where it says reshaping and in have a processor load now which I didn't before. So I'm thinking it's success on getting it started. And hopefully since these are pretty new drives there won't be any failures growing the array.

Thank you to all that helped and commented. I really do appreciate the help.

Robert

• Good lord that is a huge hard disc. Just imagine the day for the world of computers that those type drives are common place. Or we are swapping them out like floppy discs of the days past. Exciting and scarry at the same time.

On a positive note for me my first drive successfully installed. Going to start the other addition later tonight when others are sleeping. They get testy when I shut off the tv server lol.

• 100TB drive. Here you go!

Since they're not disclosing the price yet, I hope you have a few extra Euro's...

I fear, this is far beyond my budget :) And I wouldn´t have any reasonable backup solution also.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• So successfully completed the addition of the 6th 8tb drive to my Raid 5 array in OMV.
    Now I understand why you all said it thrashes the drives. It took twice as long to add the 6th drive than the 5th drive. 6th drive took 4 days to grow. Thanks for all the advice.

Robert

• So that has me wondering another question. I used the software raid built into OMV.
    I've read that snap raid plug-in if an array fails the disks could still be read one by one to recover allot of the data.
    Does that same effect happen with OMV built in software raid? Meaning if there is an array fail without using snap raid can the data be read using say a Linux boot disk?

Oh and yes my avatar is my left wrist after a dirt bike crash. I was probably 30 and invincible. Lol but not so smart sometimes.

Robert

• I thought i was implementing Snapraid when i first built the array. That's how dumb i was to what i was doing. I figured it out that i didn't get what i really wanted that Snapraid offers. I will read up on it.

The wrist didn't hurt when it happened but an hour later was hell. I begged them to put me to sleep and gave my wife all authority to make any decisions about my wrists. They bent it back and sent me to a different surgeon a week later. I spent that week in the hospital and don't remember much of it at all. I am feeling my youth and the one body rule as i get older. I sometimes think i can do more than i actually can lol

• Adding a drive to a raid 5 array means rewriting absolutely everything on the existing drives. I know you wanted the added space, but you really beat the original drives up pretty hard. Might want to think about adding a hot spare or two now.

As for broken bones, I've had a few. I'm going on 56 now and 15 years ago I had a low speed motorcycle accident. I broke my finger, clavicle (sternum end, pretty rare), a pile of ribs and crushed my T7 vertebrae. Soft tissue injuries included a bone deep cut above my eye and nearly the complete severing of my ear and many more pulls and tears. Fortunately a plastic surgeon was available to fix my ear and they assigned a "sports doctor" to rehab me. That guy is completely merciless and has no soul, but I'm glad now that he made me "walk it off" and "work it out". If you met me, you'd never know any of that happened. But hey, I walked away and was going to ride my bike home, but it wasn't up to it. Adrenaline is like that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Yes the more I read I believe I would not go raid 5 next time. I have already transfered allot of media files to array. I think snapraid or no raid at all would possibly serve me better.

Glad to hear I'm not the only person who's made bad life choices and risk their body. Because yes getting old sucks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!