add 3tb drive

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the card didn't fail, I don't understand how you can "brick" an sd card. Bricking is something that happens when firmware is written badly. Maybe Windows has problems with it but I highly doubt it is bricked. Put it in a Linux box (boot systemrescuecd on the system you wrote the card with), zero the first 100megs of the card with zero, and then write a new partition table with parted.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I don't doubt that windows had something to do with this, but it is an interesting coincidence that it happened when trying to use etcher. Windows claims it is write protected, and diskpart acts like it can fix it, but doesn't. It shows up with an attribute of "Current Read-only State: Yes" followed by "Read-only : No".

It's quite strange. I'll see if I can get Linux to do anything with it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Windows claims it is write protected

Since when does Windows deal with removable media correctly? AFAIK Windows still can only access the first partition of an SD card and if it can't cope with the filesystem there then silly error messages are spitten out.

What about trying out 'SD card formatter' as already suggested here in this thread?

• Since when does Windows deal with removable media correctly? AFAIK Windows still can only access the first partition of an SD card and if it can't cope with the filesystem there then silly error messages are spitten out.

What about trying out 'SD card formatter' as already suggested here in this thread?

I tried sdformatter and it didn't work either. I even downloaded the latest version. diskpart can't fix it either. Now to see what I can do with Linux.

• Just remembered that I fooled myself recently with an SD card to TF card adapter where the tiny read-only switch was set... but I would assume you already checked this?

Oh yes, I've even tried two different adapters - one SD full size to micro SD and the other is a USB3 to micro SD. Somehow, it's internally in a read only state.

• parted says it's read only too, hmm. Any suggestions?

Well, this is also the symptom when the card is finally worn out (then the controller should set the card to read-only so that data can still be accessed but further data loss will be prevented). And with some of the counterfeit/fake SD cards it's the same once they exceed their real capacity.

This (SD card dying) will happen to every SD card on this earth at some time unfortunately.

• Maybe who ever runs these forums gets some time they can convert this over to forums that work like PHPBB got this error 2x whilst trying to reply.

I get that or similar frequently when replying to posts here. I believe it is because I take too much time to post the reply.

What I do just before hitting the submit button is to copy my entire reply to the clipboard just in case this happens.

More often than not the post succeeds anyway even though I get that error and refreshing the browser shows the reply made it onto the forum.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Well, this is also the symptom when the card is finally worn out (then the controller should set the card to read-only so that data can still be accessed but further data loss will be prevented). And with some of the counterfeit/fake SD cards it's the same once they exceed their real capacity.

This (SD card dying) will happen to every SD card on this earth at some time unfortunately.

Coincidentally, it marked it read only after erasing it. If I could get a datasheet on the specific flash chip, I'd see if there's any special/proprietary commands that I could send it to unlock it. I know a lot of people have had trouble with RPi corruption, but I don't know if it "ruined" their cards since I never had that happen to me, yet. ;)

I don't think I've used this card very much, but I really can't be sure. smartctl won't access it because of the USB interface on the adapter. I have a new nuc7 that has a microSD socket. I'll boot it on Linux and see if I can get smartctl to tell me anything. I would like to see the statistical data, assuming it has SMART capability. I have no idea if any SD card has that though.

It's possible that I bumped it when it was being manipulated by windows. I'm no fan of Windows, but I must confess that it generates a fair amount of business for me. Been a big Linux fan since the very early days of slackware and having to download floppy images.

I'm inclined to believe that something went wrong during a critical time, rather than it just happened to be worn out. Anything is possible, but it sure is an odd coincidence that this was my first use of etcher (beta).

Is there a specific place on the forum that i could discuss my slowish performance with iperf3 and hdparm? I'm getting about 250Mb/second on the Ethernet and a little less than 200MB/second using a USB3 to SATA adapter and a new Crucial 275GB SSD. Maybe I should take this up on the Pine64 forums since it's more Linux kernel related than OMV related.

BTW, dd shows the contents to NOT be erased. I would expect it to be all 1s if it had actually been erased.

• I would expect it to be all 1s if it had actually been erased

You can't erase on flash anyway. If you want to erase something new filesystem metadata is written but at the blockdevice layer almost everything remains the same. All you can do is to use SD card Formatter to let the whole card being TRIMed. Afterwards the controller will hand out 'empty data' if you access the device at the blockdevice layer.

BTW: SD cards with SMART are rare and expensive. See here for a list of known devices: https://www.hdsentinel.com/how…sd_card_health_status.php

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!