add 3tb drive

• I watched the above video it made it seem easy enough to add a NAS here at home so I ordered my Rock64 power supply, card once it all came in everything went straight down hill from there, finally figured out how to burn the OMV image using win32diskimiager (Etcher was a nightmare still have two 16 gig SD cards that are bricked because of this program) and OMV is now running on my Rock64 I can not figure out how to add a existing 3TB hard drive that already has data files on the drive to OMV to share and store files on my network I assume there is simple step by step instructions to adding a existing hard drive or media drive to be shared on your network without having to use a new bare drive and formatting each drive as shown in the above Explaining Computers video?

Basically I am stuck at 9:10 where it wants to Wipe my drive that already has the files I want to share.

At this point I am so confused I am not really sure where to look for help I went to the above link https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/videos and did not find anything useful unless I went to the wrong page or the page is outdated?

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Obviously, videos can't show every possibility. If you have a drive with existing data with a filesystem that is usable by OMV, just mount it in the filesystems tab. Then you can create shared folders and follow the video again.

finally figured out how to burn the OMV image using win32diskimiager (Etcher was a nightmare still have two 16 gig SD cards that are bricked because of this program)

The programs do the same thing except etcher verifies that the proper data is actually written. It did not brick your SD cards. If they were used cards, they have failed. Otherwise, they just have bad data written to them. You should be able to wipe them with many methods.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I mounted the 3TB drive with the existing data then went to the "Add Share Folder" gave it a name (RockNAS) then tried to select the 3TB drive from the "Select a device" box there is nothing on the list not even my mounted 3TB drive.

Any suggestions?

• Actually, Win32Diskimager will verify an image write as well, but it requires a bit of manual intervention. (Like clicking the Verify Only button after the write operation is complete.)

Just doesn't work: https://sourceforge.net/p/win32diskimager/tickets/50/

Again: Never use Win32DiskImager, always use Etcher. And if Etcher reports cards being broken most probably they are (then it's time for h2testw1.4)

• I have used Win32DiskImager at least 25 times to load data to SD cards and it has been 100% success I used Etcher only because Etcher is what was used in the instructional video I was watching, Etcher bricked 2 cards one card you insert and it had created like 5 partitions on the card how do you format the card back to a 16 gig card when it thinks its 5 cards not one, the other card will not even read in any computer its tried in, tried 7 different known to be good adapter cards card read before Etcher does not read after Etcher. Time I wasted with Etcher I could have burned at least 25 images to 25 SD cards never again.

I enjoy trying out new things like Etcher sometimes they just do not work out not a big deal I still have Win32DiskImager SDFormatter

Thanks

• Where did the drive come from? Was it formatted by OMV or is it from another Linux install?

The drive came from my computers I use it to store data it has been bounced around from laptop to laptop desktop to desktop some Windows 7 some Windows 10 couple of Linux Mint computers just wanted to put the drive in a central location and access the files from the Rock64 over the network rather than plugging it into each machine when needed.

• Time I wasted with Etcher I could have burned at least 25 images to 25 SD cards never again.

Good luck.

Since you seem to have no idea what a partition is... all Rock64 images use 7 partitions. Some of them are accessible from Windows, some not. There's nothing you need to know about, just stop making wrong assumptions.

If Etcher reports burning finished successfully then your SD card is ready. It really doesn't matter how many partitions on the card your Windows recognizes or not and 'it thinks its 5 cards not one' is just crazy :)

Leaving this thread now since tired of dealing with users not following recommended installation procedures. Win32DiskImager is crap since not verifying burning results by default and even failing if you try to do a manual verify. I've lost too much time of my life already dealing with SBC users who failed to burn an image to SD card and then report all sorts of weird problems only related to 'burning went wrong'.

Use Etcher. Always.

• Just to recap my Rock64 is running just fine after using Win32DiskImager and I have two bricked 16gig micro SD cards trying to use Etcher.

NOTHING is 100% including Etcher

FYI your grinding an axe with a RUNNING OMV sorry your emotions has got in the way.

• Where did the drive come from? Was it formatted by OMV or is it from another Linux install?

Ok correct me if I am wrong here the only way I can add a drive to OMV is to wipe the drive I will assume that means it will destroy ALL the data on the drive?

If this is the case I need to buy another 5TB hard drive wipe the drive then copy the contents of the original 5TB drive to OMV drive?

• I have two bricked 16gig micro SD cards trying to use Etcher

Still not true. You burned a multi partition image and ended up having the expected result. An SD card with 7 partitions on it. Use SD Formatter to get them 'Windows friendly' again...

And to burn OS images to SD cards or pendrives: use Etcher. Always.

• is, at a minimum, anecdotal proof that the Win32Diskimager verification process works - on my hardware and flash media.

Win32DiskImager does no verify by default so it's 100% useless to avoid support hassles. It's an optional step that is confirmed to not work correctly and the developer has no time to fix it since months. Since it's optional and takes some time users will skip it anyway. They believe SD cards and their card readers can never fail. While people who try to support such installations KNOW that's not always true. This insufficient tool happily tells users it finished burning even if it burned garbage or nothing at all.

Why can't recommending Win32DiskImager stop? It's a tool that results in users occasionally suffering from 'burning went wrong'. So LET'S AVOID IT FINALLY! Why allowing users to waste their time and users here in the forum to waste their time with support efforts that are unnecessary?

• Thanks for all your replies advice help etc. I have found a much better, faster more intuitive solution to fill my NAS needs I completely forgot about the feature my Netgear router has where I can plug in hard drives then let the router serve the files my son reminded me about it after pulling hair for a few days with this Rock64 OMV project I just wish he asked "what you doing now dad" a day earlier ReadySHARE Storage works as advertised just plugged my two drives in and set them up using the instructions in the manual installed the app on my phone can access my files over the internet if needed (great place to dump photos and videos from phone/tablet)

Worrying about the format of my current media drives was not an issue the router supports the following file system types for full read/write access: I plugged them in they worked.
    FAT16
    FAT32
    NTFS
    NTFS with compression format enabled
    Ext2
    Ext3
    Ext4
    XFS
    HFS
    HFS+

Using Win32DiskImager I burned LibreElec KODI to a SD card and turned the Rock64 into another media device for the spare bedroom TV.

Fixed one of the SD cards by formatting the other is bricked can see the card in 5 different devices but no programs can touch the card and its reported as 0 bytes, all the cards I buy have lifetime warranties so will check on warranty when I get time.

I may revisit OMV in the future once its more user friendly and intuitive I suggest the projects leads take a look at a Netgear Router with ReadySHARE and the documentation for ideas and direction.

Again thanks hopefully OMV will progress into a great Media Vault I am glad to see passionate members here helping and sorting things out.

• I've never heard of a new SD-card reporting "0" bytes or of any flashing program being able to ruin a card beyond reformatting. It must have been a defective card

The problem is called Windows.

Windows for whatever reasons on removable media can still only deal with the first partition of the device (stupid limitation but that's how Windows works). The Rock64 OMV image made by ayufan follows these weird conventions: http://opensource.rock-chips.c…tions#Default_storage_map (in Armbian we do it differently and use only a single partition that won't show up on Windows at all since either btrfs or ext4 -- seems this helps with confused Windows users a lot)

So you end up with 7 partitions on the SD card. Only two of them are readable by Windows if I remember correctly (never tried it, I use Windows only on virtualized servers) but the first partition is not readable by Windows anyway. So what does Windows do? Reports weird errors and shows 0 bytes as explained here: http://www.eassos.com/blog/rec…sh-drive-showing-0-bytes/

On contrary OS images for Raspberry Pi usually have two partitions, the first one being FAT32 so Windows users after burning an OS image see at least a new 'drive' with 'BOOT' label and a specific size. Usually they don't care that they do not see the 2nd and larger partition that is ext4 formatted and contains Linux. But even this will be reported as 'Etcher error' since average PC users obviously have no idea what partitions are: https://github.com/resin-io/et…42#issuecomment-324073362 (8 GB SD card, burned an image with two partitions and the first one being only 41 MB in size. Now thinking Etcher would have destroyed the card or somehow shrinked it)

Etcher will be even blamed to destroy whole computer hardware: https://github.com/resin-io/etcher/issues/1942

It's still that easy: Use always Etcher to burn images since the verification process will ensure 'burning went ok'. If Etcher reports a problem usually it's not Etcher's fault but Etcher reporting a problem of the underlying hardware. If an SD card can't be reformatted by any means chances are great that's a counterfeit/fake card. Once their real capacity has been exceeded they either stop working totally or at least you can't do anything useful to them since all new writes are lost (so no way to reformat and put a new partition table on it).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe who ever runs these forums gets some time they can convert this over to forums that work like PHPBB got this error 2x whilst trying to reply.

As someone who has run a phpbb forum for 13 years, I disagree that it is better and it would have the same issues if it was using the same spam filter. It might have a better message though.

I may revisit OMV in the future once its more user friendly and intuitive I suggest the projects leads take a look at a Netgear Router with ReadySHARE and the documentation for ideas and direction.

OMV can support all of those filesystems but it is pointless to support windows filesystems when OMV is designed to have the drive connected to the system all the time. Why not use a native Linux filesystem in this case? The netgear may be simpler but that means it is not as flexible as OMV. And in two years, you router will probably not be receiving updates anymore which means you will have to buy a new one to get updates.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Good points maybe two years from now when my router stops receiving updates OMV will be intuitive and usable at almost any skill level like the Netgear router is today. I downloaded and installed a specific build for specific hardware spent about 7 hrs total never got it to function as advertised.

Win32diskimiager update, have 3 Raspberry Pi Zero w's burned libreElec to a disk setup and configured libreElec to my liking then made a copy/backup of the image using win32diskimiager then burned that saved image to two other SD cards and tested the cards in the other two Raspberry Pi Zeros verified they work adjusted the network names on each etc. without error from win32diskimiager. All 3 SD cards were used cards.

• Good points maybe two years from now when my router stops receiving updates OMV will be intuitive and usable at almost any skill level like the Netgear router is today. I downloaded and installed a specific build for specific hardware spent about 7 hrs total never got it to function as advertised.

Win32diskimiager update, have 3 Raspberry Pi Zero w's burned libreElec to a disk setup and configured libreElec to my liking then made a copy/backup of the image using win32diskimiager then burned that saved image to two other SD cards and tested the cards in the other two Raspberry Pi Zeros verified they work adjusted the network names on each etc. without error from win32diskimiager. All 3 SD cards were used cards.

In the mean time, it might not be a bad idea to install OMV in a virtual machine and just play around with it for a while. Once you get the hang of it, you're ready to go without any down time.

• Interestingly enough, yesterday I ended up with a "current read only" bricked SD card when trying to burn a debian image to it for my rock 64 using etcher. Burned hundreds of cards before and never had this happen using win32diskimager. I'm still trying to unbrick it, hopefully one of the tools above will do it.

Ended up here because I'm a new OMV user on the rock 64. It seems to be working aside from some iperf3 and hdparm -t performance issues. I'm using the version listed in the etcher beta I downloaded. No response needed on the performance things. If I can't live with them, I'll start a new thread. I just wanted to put my experience out there with killing an SD card.

Thanks for OMV, it's a really nice package.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!