Plex: Can´t access Plex by it´s own from outside my network but DynDNS access is working

• Hi Guys,

I have a small problem with my Plex Media Server running on the latest OMV 3 (No OMV-Firewall Rules).

I am running the Plex Server on the standard Port 32400 and I have an IPv4. In my internal network Plex works fine but when I try to enable the network-connection from outside plex shows the attached Error-Message.
    I also have a DynDNS Domain connected with my FritzBox (UPnP enabled) and when I try to connect to it like this: "http://myDynDNS.de:32400" it also works fine, but only on the Browser because I cant tell the App to connect to a specific address.

Summary: I cant connect to my Plex Server from outside the network from an App because plex shows this Error Message but I actualy can connect to it through the DynDNS address. This makes no sense to me and I ask myself why it only works with an DynDNS an not in Plex itself.

Can someone help me with this? (sorry for my bad english. I´m not a native speaker)

• Do you have a router that is performing NAT from port 32400 to port 18541? You need to put port 18451 in the Manually specify public port box.

Is your Plex server logged into plex.tv?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Thanks for the answer :)

Yes my Router is performing NAT but does not forward the port 32400 to 18541, I will try that. But shouldn´t plex open the port by itself because of UPnP? When I put the port 18541 in the Manually specify Port box it doesn´t work...

Yes, my Plex Server is connected with my Plex Account and as I mentioned in my first post, the server is actually available from outside but only under my DynDNS adress.

• How did port 18541 even get involved with this? Don't rely on UPnP.

How are you trying to connect to it from inside your network? You should be using the local IP:32400 or app.plex.tv

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I dont know what port 18541 has to do with this. But the strange thing is that this port does change from time to time. A few days ago there was another port on that spot.

From inside my network I connect to my Plex Server using the internal IP and the port 32400 and it is working fine.

My only problem is, that I can´t access the server from outside via Plex itself. It only works with my DynDNS address and I have no clue why...?

• Disable UPnP, setup the proper port forward in your router, and start over setting up Remote access in Plex.

--

• Okay somehow it finally seems to work properly now, but I still don´t know exactly why.

I clicked the button for the manual port selection, then entered the public port 18541 and clicked the checkbox again so the textfield was grey again and then it worked....

But thanks a lot @gderf I appreciate your help :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!