Aquantia network cards on OMV

• I'm not sure I'd call it significant, but the official spec are:
    6 W at 10 Gbps, 4W at 5 Gbps full length 100 m Cat6a

They do a version that goes up to "only" 5Gbps, although they don't list the 2.5Gbps power usage of that one. The 5Gbps card also reduced the PCIe lane count from four to one, for Gen3 obviously.

I have to say that their support has been very good, although I've also had a fair share of issues, such as needing a new firmware for the cards to make them work properly.
    That said, their support team has been very responsive and helpful and have tried their best to help solve all the issues I've run into.

I should clarify that my cards are made by Aquantia and they offered a special around Black Friday last year, although the cards are readily available from Arrow and other distribution channels, but they're normally more pricey than the Asus, Gigabyte and QNAP cards based on the same chips. That said, I've only seen the 5Gbps cards directly from Aquantia.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not bad energy use numbers but I'll be much more interested once an energy efficient 24 port switch with at least 4 10 gig ports is available for a decent price. My single port emulex cards from eBay use 9W each according to my kill-a-watt (didn't look for mfg spec) but I got two for $30.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Those are a tad harder to use and I bet you didn't spend $2 on a network cable for them...

But yes, switches is the big problem now.
    QNAP recently announced this for around $500 https://www.qnap.com/en/product/qsw-1208-8c
    But I guess you're not going to be overly happy with an unmanaged switch and it obviously on has 12 usable ports.

As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, Aquantia claims to be bringing out more affordable switch hardware as well and I saw some prototypes at Computex in June last year, but it's been fairly quiet since then. The prototypes was at the Realtek booth among others and Realtek is obviously known for making "affordable" network hardware, so that might end up being a good combination for home use if nothing else. If it'll be energy efficient, I don't know.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Offizieller Beitrag

Those are a tad harder to use and I bet you didn't spend $2 on a network cable for them...

Hard to use? I just plugged them in and assigned them static IP addresses in vCenter. I used them for fast vmotions between ESXi hosts (they don't have shared storage). I stopped using them because of the amount of extra energy just for a bit faster vmotion that I rarely used.

One 2m cable came with each card. So, I spent less than $2 :)

But I guess you're not going to be overly happy with an unmanaged switch and it obviously on has 12 usable ports.

I don't need that many 10gig ports but I do need more gigabit ports. $500 is still more than I want to spend just for a nice to have. Most of my stuff is on the same ESXi system. So, I have 10gig between my VMs now.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I meant in the way that they're x8 cards, so they might not be compatible with some hardware and you need special cables, not CAT5e+ cables.
    It also seems like you got a bargain, as those cards seem to go for closer to a $100 now. I guess they became popular :p

Oh, sure and Buffalo have had a 12 port 10GBASE-T switch out for a while now for around $500 and recently replaced it with a model that's also capable of 2.5 and 5Gbps.
    Oddly enough, there are no affordable 2.5 or 5Gbps switches yet. I know of a couple of 2.5Gbps products and one 5Gbps.

Netgear has a $200 model with 2x 10Gbps ports and 8x 1Gbps, but again, unmanaged - https://www.netgear.com/busine…es/unmanaged/GS110MX.aspx
    Another $50 gets you a managed version though - https://www.netgear.com/busine…web-managed/GS110EMX.aspx
    These ones are power efficient at 13.2W and 15.6W, but I'm guessing most of that is for the 10Gbps ports.

• The Asus is apparently not very good and runs very hot from what I've read.
    Looking at the internal pictures here I can sort of understand why - https://foxnetwork.ru/index.ph…reviews/225-asus-xg-u2008

I did forget that MikroTik has a new-ish 10Gbps switch too, but it's all SFP+.
    16 ports + 1x 1Gbps for $399 - https://mikrotik.com/product/crs317_1g_16s_rm
    Considering the cards you have, it might be more up your street?

If you really want 4x SFP+ and 24 Gigabit ports, I know this company and can ask them if they'd sell a "sample" unit - http://www.etentech.com/products_show.aspx?id=70

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von TheLostSwede ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Considering the cards you have, it might be more up your street?

Unfortunately, not all of my devices have or can use SFP+ and I didn't want to share 1 gig connection to my current 24 port.

If you really want 4x SFP+ and 24 Gigabit ports, I know this company and can ask them if they'd sell a "sample" unit - etentech.com/products_show.aspx?id=70

Neat switch.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!