Install Kernel Panic - Stumped

• Greetings,

I have been using OMV for about 2 years and it's always been rock solid, which is why I love it. Unfortunately, we were hit with some flooding in the midwest a month or so ago and my server that lived in my basement, went for a swim. Bad news was the server was a loss, but the data wasn't and insurance covered a new server build, which brings me here.

I just put together a brand new machine dedicated to running OMV based on a AMD FX-6300 6 core cpu, ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard, 16GB of Patriot DDR3-1600, 30GB SSD boot drive and 5 3 TB Seagate SATA drives. Build went together smoothly but for the past 2 days I have been trying to get OMV to boot and install on this machine.

Both off the CD installer as well as a USB thumbdrive I get the same results, as soon as the machine trys to boot, I get "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(254,32)

I have tried about every bios combination I can think of that might have an effect on this and nothing makes a difference.

I even went so far as to try the install to the SSD in another machine, which installed fine off the same USB stick. I then swapped the drive into the new machine and it booted with a few warnings, but after setting up a share and test copying a few large files, the machine kernel panics every time.

I am at a loss and was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Try to install Debian 6.0.7 first and install OMV onto it. What you're trying with installing the SSD in a different system configuration is a bad idea, which already lead to problems (the kernel panics), as you see.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would install the backports kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the replies,

I knew that using the other system to install was not going to be a solution, but I wanted to see both if the installer was good, as well as if the machine would even boot the system once it was installed in an attempt to narrow down where the problem is.

As for the Backports kernel, I have tried both the 3.2.4 kernel and the 2.6.83 kernel versions of Squeeze from here http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/ with the exact same kernel panic as the result.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not that it really helps with OMV but does Debian Wheezy install and run ok on this machine? Also, does the system fully pass all the tests using memtest?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Not that it really helps with OMV but does Debian Wheezy install and run ok on this machine? Also, does the system fully pass all the tests using memtest?

Good question. I was actually thinking the RAM might be bad out of the box. I'll exchange it tomorrow and give the Wheezy install a try.

• Problem solved, it was the RAM.

Replaced the Patriot 1600 with some Corsair 1866 and it installed off the CD on the first try. After installing, I updated the kernel to the 3.2.0 backports kernel for the AMD 6 core support and all seems to be running well.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!