Disc disconnects when pressing "File system menu"

• Hi!

I have a external 465gb harddrive attached to a sata2usb device. This is formated to a Ext4 format and works great if I attach it to my Linux PC.
    I then have installed 3.0.98 omv to both a Raspberry 2 and 3 to exclude Rasp problems.
    When i attach the disk to the raspberry everything is fine, I can see the disk in "Physical disc menu".
    Wwen i press "File system" the disc disconnects with the message: "reset high-speed USB device number 8 using dwc_otg"

I have external power to the disc and have tried several different ways including a powered usb 2.0 splitter.

Dmesg:

lsusb (before pressing file systems)

Code
    root@sundbergvault:/# lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1bcf:0c31 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. SPIF30x Serial-ATA bridge
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 13fd:0840 Initio Corporation INIC-1618L SATA
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1a40:0101 Terminus Technology Inc. 4-Port HUB
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bc2:3010 Seagate RSS LLC 
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I have tried both dwc_otg.speed=1 and max_usb_current=1

As soon as I press File Systems i get this:

What can I check more?
    Is there any other info I can post for you to get more ideas?

• What can I check more?

For example the history of USB crappiness on these lousy Raspberries: https://www.element14.com/community/thread/19436

If you're still on kernel 4.9 you could apply all latest updates to get on kernel 4.14.30 (and of course latest 'firmware' too since part of the magic happens always only here) and see if that helps. If not then either replace the SunPlus bridge with something known to work or better replace the RPi which something that performs better and more reliable.

• Thanks tkaiser.I Isuspected an answer like this and I have been looking for better hardware. It is very tempting to try to do this on a raspberry but I guess the result is not always satisfying.

Anyways, thanks for the links but I guess another nas-hardware will have tondo but that means no omw which I like very much.

• It is very tempting to try to do this on a raspberry but I guess the result is not always satisfying

Raspberry Pis are great toys and can be helpful to learn Linux or programming at a specific layer. Unfortunately the hardware today is the same as 2011 when the board was introduced (they only exchanged the ARM cores and some components on the board but the main limitation is still old and boring VideoCore IV which is the heart of these things. All the limitations originate from here).

You usually try to avoid USB2 these days, you usually try to avoid putting USB disks behind a hub, you usually try to use real Ethernet instead of USB2 attached (especially not behind a hub). On Raspberries none of this works and then there are the numerous underpowering issues due to the crappy Micro USB connector encouraging users to use insufficient chargers or cables.

It's simply the worst platform possible for any NAS use case. Literally every other SBC is a better choice if it's about NAS.

• I can tell you know what you are talking about... thanks for even more great info. I will look into other hardware.

My chooses now is that I have 2 discs and I could buy a NAS enclosure for around 90€ (Zyxel NAS 326) but I want to use open source. I dislike closed projects. What would you do? I'm not willing to do much more in money .

• This Zyxel uses a rather outdated but nice Marvell Armada 380 SoC. So don't expect top performance :)

Wrt alternatives: one of the USB3 boards like Rock64 combined with the JMS561 dual disk SATA bridge mentioned here could be an idea (Rock64 is OMV ready). Or an EspressoBin with one disk connected to the SATA port, the other to the USB3 port. Also Marvell based but a more recent one and most probably twice as fast as the Zyxel. OMV also runs flawlessly on the EspressoBin but installation is a bit more of an effort.

• Im not expecting top performance (that's why I wanted to try the raspberry). I just want to move and steam some files over a home network.

Thanks for your hardware tip. I truly appreciate your effort to help a newbie like myself!! I will look into it asap.

• Another followup.

I tried duplicati, but got an installation error, so i made a network link from my Onedrive folder to one of the network drives to backup somethings from there.
    This causes OMV to crash, but stopping Onedrive and removing the link from my computer seems to fix this. I just have to try to get duplicati to work.
    Everything else seems to work fine.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!