Plex local (private) usage

• Hello everyone!

I'm new here so please excuse my question but I couldn't find any answer to this yet.

I wanted to install a "media server" on my OMV 3. I still know Kodi from my Raspberry Pi and I assumed the Plex Mediaserver would be somewhat similar.
    Everything worked fine with the installation and when I opened it in the browser, I was able to see the web interface with it's configuration panel etc.
    However this worked only hen blocking the java script for "https://plex.tv".
    The moment I don't block that script, I get forwarded directly to a plex page that tells me

"Plex Web would like to sign in to your Plex account"

However I can't register there (there is a Facebook Login but it's not working). And honestly that doesn't seem to be what I want anyway. I don't want something like internet TV. Especially not with any paid "Plex Pass" account or what ever.
    All I want is to use it locally on my own as I did before via Kodi (or even CIFS / SMB with the VLC connected via LAN).

So could anyone please tell me what am I missing? Is this a paid feature only? Do I have to configure something specifically if I use it only in my home network?

Thanks for your help,

Tobias

• Any use of the Plex Media Server (PMS) requires that you have an account on Plex.tv. Establishing an account is free.

To access and use the enhanced features of PMS and the use of some client programs such as IOS, Android, and Roku requires either buying those client programs or having a paid for PlexPass.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Well, the point is, I don't like having any third party have "access" to my data. Honestly I'm not sure how it works. But if they have access to my music or movies, what else do they have.
    I wanted this NAS as a storage for me and my family. So there are private data on it.
    I guess my concern is not only creating a (paid) account but also in more general that I have no idea what this server does.
    I saw them indexing my files (which seems okay so far) but also some services of downloading album art or generating previews etc.
    After all, what I only want is a simple media player. As mentioned earlier, we used our old NAS via SMB / CIFS. So family members were up/downloading directly. Now I was hoping for something a bit more comfortable like a browser related service. I'd be even happy about a simple page with a VLC plugin showing files instead of downloading them with the Windows Explorer or what ever...

TL;DR Are there any privacy related topics. I just don't trust the Plex server since I see the service running, reading and writing on my disk...

• TL;DR Are there any privacy related topics. I just don't trust the Plex server since I see the service running, reading and writing on my disk...

The place to ask questions like this is in the Plex.tv forums.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You don't need a paid account. Plex is free, unless you really need the extra features (which aren't necessary for most people).
    Plex needs read and write access to download metadata and album art. It only writes to its own database and only reads your media files. It does upload usage statistics though.

If you don't care about metadata and album art, then you can stick with DLNA.

If all you need is a media player, then stick with Kodi. There is also Emby, but it has pretty much the same requirements as Plex.

• I use Plex mainly to share my library with some remote users (family and friends). I also am a Plex Pass subscriber, but I think if I was only consuming the media on my local network, I would simply use Kodi clients on all TVs.

• I have used Plex via LAN only without any account what so ever for years. I have even set up a rule on my router to prevent Plex fro mapping anything via upnp.
    Since the very last Plex update though I am asked to log in, but only if I go under Server settings.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!