HP 800 G1 USDT/ Boot from SSD

• Dear All,

I just bought a HP 800 G1 USDT to replace my aging HP DC7900 to be used for OMV.

Is anyone using the same PC for OMV? I'm asking because I read that there is the possibility to install a MSATA together with SATA drive that come with the PC.

This would be an ideal solution as I could run OMV from the SSD and use the SATA drive for the media storage, but there seem to be some issues to boot the system with Windows computers as the SSD drive socket was designed to act like "Cache" of the SATA drive.

Does anyone know if I could boot OMV from this MSATA drive or would I face the same issues as on Windows computers?

Thanks!

Best regards

• It really depends on your boot options in the UEFI/BIOS.
    If you can select to boot from the MSATA device, then you can boot any OS from it.
    Most motherboards that had MSATA slots for caching allowed you to boot from them as well.
    However, it's possible that HP has disabled this in the UEFI/BIOS, which you really need to try to know for sure.
    I'd recommend updating to the latest UEFI/BIOS version first.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!