SMB transfer speed goes down after conversion to ext4

• Hi all,
    I just converted my shared hard drive from NTFS to ext4. Before the conversion, I was able to get a whooping 11 MB/sec dowloading files via SMB (which is great considering the 100mbps LAN connection). After the conversion, transfer speed went down to 4 MB/sec and smbd maxes out CPU load to 100% during the transfer. Is there anything I can do to get back my old transfer speeds (except converting back to NTFS ...)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Please do not encourage users to fiddle around with settings

If the settings on arm images shouldn't be changed, maybe we should create a file /usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/samba.d/11arm that writes the settings to smb.conf. Then people won't be tempted to change them in the web interface.

"Solutions to Common Problems" is his post, it's pinned throughout the forum and there's no mention of SBC's. (A large part of the user base.)

The posts I link to still aren't wrong. Those posts mention most or all of the settings used in the arm images. I can add a note mentioning that arm images are already optimized and if they are seeing slow speeds, they are probably using an RPi :D

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• if a user is technically savvy enough to notice and measure a speed drop as observed by @badda , I see nothing wrong with giving those tuning parameters a try

Optimized Samba settings are already part of the image. Now $something has changed. The filesystem that is known to perform worse (NTFS) seems to perform better than the 'better' one (ext4). This is unusual and should be checked instead.

I can add a note mentioning that arm images are already optimized and if they are seeing slow speeds, they are probably using an RPi

Good idea! :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!