Recovering Raid 1 Stripe after SD corruption (RPi)

• I have been running OMV 3 on an RPi 2 for some time, and today it suddenly misbehaved. Initially the web interface didn't work, then after reboot it goes into emergency mode and from there into "raising network interfaces" which runs forever with no limit. My conclusion - the SD card is fried (checks confirm this is very likely).

I need to recover the files on the Raid disks if possible (2 x 1TB). When I cut a new OMV 3 SD card and reboot, "Physical disks" can see them as sda and sdb, but "File systems" cannot. This means I cannot mount them from the web interface to retrieve the files or rebuild a more robust OMV setup. If I try to mount them myself, this fails. See below result of lsblk and attempted mount:

As I use OMV for domestic backups, my plan is to move to 2 x RPi3 OMV 3 implementations with SSD for OMV itself plus 1 of the 2 x 1TB HDD used for backups now. Therefore if I can get help to mount the existing RAID initially so I can get the data copied somewhere else, or remove the Raid SAFELY so I can mount one of them as ext4 that would be very helpful.

• Offizieller Beitrag

rebuild a more robust OMV setup.

Please don't use RPis. If you must, definitely don't use raid on an RPi.

"Physical disks" can see them as sda and sdb, but "File systems" cannot.

You need to assemble the array before the system will see the filesystem. mdadm --assemble --force --verbose /dev/md0 /dev/sd[ab] should assemble it. Then mount -a might mount it in the original location.

remove the Raid SAFELY so I can mount one of them as ext4 that would be very helpful.

You can't do that. If you don't have a backup of the data, you will need to degrade the array, wipe the drive you remove from the array, and format ext4. Lots of dangerous actions if you won't have backup especially on an RPi.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron - the assemble worked so I am able to mount the Raid1 to put the data somewhere safe so I can reformat the HDD and start again. Yes I know the RPi is not ideal but this is domestic backup plus media server so with careful planning it is good enough for now.
    Many thanks again!

• Yes I know the RPi is not ideal but this is domestic backup plus media server so with careful planning it is good enough for now.

But why do you want to buy new hardware that is just slow as hell and unreliable too? You definitely do not want an USB hub in between board and disks. But that's what you get on any of these things. Even 'network' behind the same USB hub (and funny 'USB contention' issues as a result).

There exist alternatives to Raspberries that are way better and even less expensive.

• my plan is to move to 2 x RPi3 OMV 3 implementations with SSD for OMV itself

What a waste! Raspberries are not even UAS capable which is something you clearly want with USB attached SSDs (see the numbers here). With something that lousy as a Raspberry Pi I clearly wouldn't waste a SSD. Better a good genuine A1 rated SD card. With OMV's flashmemory plugin writes to the card shouldn't be an issue anyway...

• Hi tkaiser - I don't disagree, but in this case I have all the bits I need already and would have to take the SDDs off otherwise! I was using a good SD card and the official power supply (the 2 x HDD have own power supply) and that failed today but after about two years. I suspect the original installation didn't have the flashmemory plugin enabled whereas the new one does by default.

I am still pondering what to do when I have saved the data, but retrieving this - which will go on for several hours - was the top priority. I am not wedded to RPi, just I use them for all kinds of experiments already but something which can drive the disks SATA and has 1Gbps Ethernet would be preferable. I did look at a Synology box and that's the sort of thing that would be good, but running OMV!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!