SSD Cache support

• Does anyone know of a way to add an SSD / SSD array as a cache drive to OMV?

Basically, I do a lot of video editing and will be moving my workflow to 4k. Accessing the files via an SSD Cache drive would allow me to access the files at a faster rate than standard spinning disks.\

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ASUS P9A-I/C2550/SAS/4L w/ Intel Atom C2550 (2.40GHz) | Kingston ECC 16GB RAM | 1x 120GB OS HDD| 8x 2TB HDD (RAID 6) | SilverStone DS380
    OMV 2.1.23 Stone Burner (64 bit) | Debian 7 (Wheezy) w/Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am no cache expert but I don't think it will speed up access unless the file was read recently. There may also be some file size rules about it too. I think what you might need is a drive that you use as a temporary storage and then move the file to an archive. Might be best just to copy the file to your computer, with an ssd. Work on it then transfer it back. I think your bottleneck would be the network not the disk. Others may have a better idea tho.

If you make it idiot proof, somebody will build a better idiot.

• You can always set ZFS SSD caching

But why?

Video editing is something where caching makes almost no sense. You need high sequential read and write performance at the storage and at the network layer. A RAID-6 with 8 HDD should be good for 600-900 MB/s at the storage layer with a fast enough XOR implementation. So what's the bottleneck here? When looking at the signature it's most probably network and CPU...

• He wanted ssd cache,so i gave him an option.

Well, I'm focusing on the (most probably completely wrong) assumption 'SSD cache ... would allow me to access the files at a faster rate than standard spinning disks'.

If this is a typical OMV scenario with network connected clients then how should a SSD cache at the server help? His RAID6 should already provide decent speed so the interesting question is why he's thinking about improvements (most probably Gigabit Ethernet and slow CPU are the answers)?

And no, why RAID10 SSD? Video editing is about high sequential transfer speeds. A bunch of spinning rust is perfectly fine as RAID-6 or RAIDz2. The few clients here that deal with these workloads use Macs with Thunderbolt 2 attached disk arrays and 'IP over Thunderbolt' between the few stations. Works reasonable well (+800 MB/s via network) at low costs.

With PCs and OMV most probably an investment in at least 10GbE network infrastructure would be needed (though haven't looked into Thunderbolt on Windows and Linux for a long time).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!