OMV UI not executing SMART settings

• Hi there,

recently i found out that the SMART settings under Storage -> Physical disks are not executed by the UI on my system. Although i have SMART activated for all drives but the system drive under S.M.A.R.T -> Drives.

I have three WD RED 3TB and a SSD system drive in my system - two WD RED drives as RAID1. As WD REDs don't support APM, i disabled the APM feature as well as write cache. For spindown time i set 30min. But the drives never fell asleep. SMART checks are set to every 14400 seconds.
    Interestingly setting manually in terminal

Code
    hdparm -S 241 /dev/sda ... to sdc

worked. And the drives fall asleep which can be confirmed by

Code
    hdparm -C /dev/sda ... to sdc

So i am happy that it works but i ask myself if the OMV UI executes the right commands in the background?

I am using OMV 4.1.4-1.

Best regards,
    B.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you checked /etc/hdparm.conf if there are the correct settings? hdparm is now triggered via UDEV, so there shouldn't be any problems. OMV tries to use predictable device names (/dev/disk/by-id/xxxx) in /etc/hdparm.conf, but in some cases the system does not provide that. If device names like /dev/sdd are used in the config file, this can be the reason for your troubles because such device names can change every time, so a specific device gets a different device name each reboot and may confuse hdparm.

• Have you checked /etc/hdparm.conf if there are the correct settings?

Yes, looks fine to me:

By using "by-id" with hdparm -C dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_* i receive the information that the drives are in "standby" status.

Zitat von votdev

Keep also in mind that a drive never falls asleep if there are read/write activities. You need to find out if there is something reading or writing to your devices.

Yes, i thought about that but i found nothing with iosnoop, so i tried to set the spindown time manually in the terminal with "hdparm -S" and the drives spindown perfectly as they should.

Some more ideas:

• I installed OMV over a Debian minimal installation, could this be causing problems?
    • hparm seemed to have problems with WD REDs (see here). But i nevertheless i can set it manually and the drives react on that. On the other hand i have some other problems with SMART and the WD REDs (see here).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!