Hdd won’t show in device list but USB will?? Why?

• Hi,

So I set up an old 8GB USB (ext4) and a 2GB USB (NTFS) as shared folders and it worked perfectly. Granted, I had to “sudo apt-get install ntfs.3g” so that the 2GB USB would even show up in the device list.

But now the next problem...

My 8TB hdd (NTFS - 1.5TB used) will happily mount (I use the webUI), but it won’t show up in the device list so that I can create a shared folder from it.

I have files on there which are 2GB+. Is this the reason?

Otherwise, why would the USB work and the hdd won’t?

I’ve followed the instructions set out by “Trekmaster”. Again, worked for the USB, but won’t for the hdd.

I tried “omv-confdbadm read conf.system.filesystem.mountpoint”, then unmounted and remounted the hdd (8TB) but it won’t work.

~1.5TB is a lot of data to lose, I don’t fancy reformatting it to ext4. :(

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you very much!!

• That's why you should do backup. Once you have a backup in place it's easy to format your data disk with ext4 or any other POSIX compliant filesystem (do NOT use NTFS with OMV!)

Hey,

Thanks for responding! I had originally planned for the 8TB to be the backup... I have been working on transferring everything over from a 2TB, debating whether to just use the 8TB as cold storage (but that's no fun). I'd just then reformat the 2TB as ext4.

My concern then would be that (I use MacOS) I couldn't read/write ext4 on mac without paying for additional software?

Thanks!

• My concern then would be that (I use MacOS) I couldn't read/write ext4 on mac without paying for additional software?

Please do not try to do this. It simply doesn't work with other OS than MacOS to access a filesystem both locally and shared over the network. Apple's own filesharing daemons (both AppleFileServer and their SMB implementation) can cope with this but no other system. See here for some issues: Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no support in current kernel on 3.0.94 RPI3 or https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/5904

If you want to access a disk both locally and over the network using macOS as server is your only option.

• Please do not try to do this. It simply doesn't work with other OS than MacOS to access a filesystem both locally and shared over the network. Apple's own filesharing daemons (both AppleFileServer and their SMB implementation) can cope with this but no other system. See here for some issues: Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no support in current kernel on 3.0.94 RPI3 or https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/5904
    If you want to access a disk both locally and over the network using macOS as server is your only option.

I think my best option would be to use the 8TB (NTFS) as cold storage and 2TB (EXT4) as shared over the network.

I have no need to use the 2TB (EXT4) locally other than to have a faster transfer of files onto it to initially set it up, when it is shared over the network.

I could then just regularly backup the shared folder to the 8TB cold over the network.

Do you think this sounds logical?

I really appreciate your assistance! Thank you!

• I have no need to use the 2TB (EXT4) locally other than to have a faster transfer of files onto it to initially set it up, when it is shared over the network.

Again: bad idea unless you fully understand which file/folder metadata are stored in which way by OMV (Samba and/or Netatalk) and macOS on 'foreign filesystems' and how encoding conventions look like. Unless you use only plain ASCII for file and foldernames and none of your files has metadata attached (impossible) this won't work well.

Use a disk formatted with a POSIX compliant filesystem on your OMV box and access it only through the network (with either Samba or Netatalk -- see above for the reasons).

BTW: it seems you're using a Rasperry Pi since you fear low NAS performance? If that's the case... there's no reason to run OMV on such crappy hardware. You get faster and even less expensive ARM boards: Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

• Again: bad idea unless you fully understand which file/folder metadata are stored in which way by OMV (Samba and/or Netatalk) and macOS on 'foreign filesystems' and how encoding conventions look like. Unless you use only plain ASCII for file and foldernames and none of your files has metadata attached (impossible) this won't work well.

Use a disk formatted with a POSIX compliant filesystem on your OMV box and access it only through the network (with either Samba or Netatalk -- see above for the reasons).

BTW: it seems you're using a Rasperry Pi since you fear low NAS performance? If that's the case... there's no reason to run OMV on such crappy hardware. You get faster and even less expensive ARM boards: Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

I might be wrong but I'm confident ext4 is POSIX compliant. This is how I would format the hdd to create a shared folder.

Interestingly enough, I just connected a 1TB HFS+ FS hdd up and it works perfectly fine... It showed up in the device list and I can just simply share the folder as I wished. I don't now think I will need to format to ext4 as it would seem that I have a hdd that can be local and shared, not that I need this at all...

No idea why this hdd works when the other didn't. I got given the Raspberry Pi, very kindly, by a friend so there was no cost; hence, I am using that.

Thank you for your assistance and advice!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!