How to make screen off after some time

• Hello!

I have a small home server running on an old Dell d620 laptop (T7200, 2HDD's and 4 GB or ram).
    I have migrated yesterday from OMV 3.x to 4.x. In OMV 3.x screen was turning off after some minutes but on OMV 4.x it stays on forever. I don't want to turn it off forever. Sometimes I need to do something in first person. I cannot just close the lid because the laptop goes then in sleep mode.
    Please advise a solution.

• Hello,

I'm looking for this option too for my external monitor of my desktop.

Is this the option ?: HandleLidSwitch=suspend

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tinh_x7 ()

• Sorry, last time I was reading your post at 2 am and didn't understand well;)

Those parameters in logind.conf are related to power buttons actions.

HandleLidSwitch parameter only controls how the laptop's screen will react to lid close.
    Did you try HandleLidSwitchDocked parameter?

Someone marked my topic as resolved but it isn't. I only found a workaround for my problem by disabling sleep action when I close the laptop's lid.

But stil unresolved is: how to set screen timeout?

• exacly, how to set screen timeout?
    in my OMV3 - work .. in OMV4 dont work ;/

• I have not looged on here for a while, but just did to give you guys a method I used and worked for me, since I use OMV on my laptop and wanted my screen to go off after 60 seconds. So here we go, hopefully it will work for you as well.

1. Log in using putty to your OMV. Use root as a user.
    2. Enter password.
    3. Type nano /etc/default/grub
    4. Find GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX and add "consoleblank=60".
    60 is amount of seconds after which screen will go off. Change it to your liking.
    5. Now press CTRL-X, click Y, then Enter.
    6. Type update-grub.
    Restart OMV, screen should turn off.

• Thanks!!!

FYK and others, it worked for me on OMV6.

• Hi, I installed OMV 6 on my old laptop Samsung RF511 and having a specific "screen off" problem.

edit /etc/systemd/logind.con - no effect.

edit /etc/default/grub with consoleblank=60 - ok, but only once after start OMV. After sleep (stand by) mode (manual or autoshutdown plugin) the screen does not turn off. More precisely, it does not display any information, only the backlight works. If i press the physical button, the information is displayed and the screen goes off after a minute as it should.

Any ideas?

Update:

I've solved the problem. Created a service like here and changed content a little bit:

"consoleblank" is no longer needed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!