Install OMV 4 on new drive and migrate OMV 3 volumes?

• Hi, I have an OMV 3.x server running as my media server (with Plex). This system has a small internal HDD containing just the OMV system; another large internal HDD holding media, and a couple of external drives (for backup). The large internal HDD is formatted with ZFS.

I want to upgrade to OMV 4, but I'd rather not risk my 3.x volume just in case something goes wonky (I know enough to be dangerous with Linux but not much more). I have another free HDD available that I'd like to install in the server, and then boot to it and clean install 4.x onto that and configure it just like the 3.x system. That way if something goes haywire or something doesn't work properly I could simply switch back to the 3.x drive.

If I did something like this, can I then simply migrate the ZFS media drive and the external drives over to the new boot disk containing the OMV 4.x system? What preparations would I need to do? Like unmount all drives from 3.x first? I'm concerned about user IDs and permissions on other drives (ZFS and external)... If I created on the OMV 4 system the exact same groups and IDs as on OMV 3, would it work properly by simply re-mounting the drives onto the new OMV 4 boot disk?

Thanks in advance.

-Chimp (Tom)

• First of all,i`m totaly unknown to ZFS.

But i may share my experience with other formats.
    In this case was with EXT4 from Sinology Nas on HP Gen8-Omv and it did work without any problem.
    Also once an Omv got crushed by my beginners foult`s and after installing Omv, the same media HDD did work without any problems.

If u go to install Omv4...put pressent Pc OFF and disconnect media HDD`s as wel external-so there is no need for "unmount" steps.
    Install Omv4 and reconnect all the same as was on Omv3.

That should do?!

I just saw...ZFS is possible via plugin.If is the same story with Omv4 do not forget first to install a plugin and than to phisically to reconnect.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!