OMV mirror question

• Offizieller Beitrag

If one drive dies you should be able to reconstruct the RAID 1 with the other drive. That is the idea behind RAID 1.

However, chances are that the second drive will also die during the reconstruction. That is only one of the reasons why you need backup additionally. And you most likely do not need RAID 1.

Search the forum for "RAID is not backup".

• If one drive dies you should be able to reconstruct the RAID 1 with the other drive. That is the idea behind RAID 1.

However, chances are that the second drive will also die during the reconstruction. That is only one of the reasons why you need backup additionally. And you most likely do not need RAID 1.

Search the forum for "RAID is not backup".

so il be better widout raid and make backups instead from one hdd to the other?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is how I do it. I used to have a RAID 1 as well.
    Now I use the rsnapshot plugin to create snapshots of drive 1 on drive 2. By this I can also keep previous versions of the files.

If I delete a file due to a mistake it will be deleted on drive 1 and it will not be there in the next snapshot of drive 2, but will still have provious snapshots that contain the different versions of that file.

There are other events that put you data in danger like malware, electrical spikes, fire, flooding. That is why you need a sound backup strategy.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!