VirtualBox and ZFS plugins installation issue after fresh OMV install

• OMV 4.x (stable)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• VirtualBox and ZFS plugins installation issue after fresh OMV install

Hello,

i've set up my second, fresh OMV installation v. 4.14 and now i'm trying to install VirtualBox plugin and ZFS plugin from OMV-Extras. But it gives me this kind of error:

Source Code

1. The following information may help to resolve the situation:
      2. The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      3. openmediavault-virtualbox : Depends: linux-headers-686-pae but it is not installable or
      4. linux-headers-amd64 but it is not going to be installed
      5. E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
      6. <<< *************************************

When i try to install "linux-headers-amd64" i get this message:

Source Code

1. Following packages have unmet dependencies:
      2. linux-headers-amd64 : Depends: linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 but is not going to be installed
      3. E: Cannot resolve the problems, stopped broken packages.
      And when i try to install linux-headers by this command: "apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)" i get:

Source Code

1. The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      2. linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 : Depends: linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86 (>= 4.14.17-1~) but 4.9.82-1+deb9u3 is going to be installed
      3. E: Cannot resolve problems, stopped broken packages.

How can i resolve this?

The post was edited 3 times, last by vonPaulus ().

• New

therab wrote:

Same issue with Virtualbox after kernel update to 4.15.

Booting with kernel 4.14 solve the problem and Virtualbox has no problems.

How can Virtualbox run with kernel 4.15
      I've tried to boot with 4.14 kernel, also installed OMV one more time v 4.0.3 but still VirtualBox and ZFS plugins cannot install with above error. No matter which kernel i use or which OMV version i install.
    • New

Debian has to fix the dependencies in their control file. I will look for a bug report and report one if I don't find one (if I have a chance). Nothing you can do until then due to the dependency on the linux-headers-amd64 meta package which references the 4.15 headers.

linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 : Depends: linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86 (>= 4.14.17-1~) but 4.9.82-1+deb9u3 is to be installed
      omv 4.1.4 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.3
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

The post was edited 1 time, last by ryecoaaron ().

• New

ryecoaaron wrote:

Debian has to fix the dependencies in their control file. I will look for a bug report and report one if I don't find one (if I have a chance). Nothing you can do until then due to the dependency on the linux-headers-amd64 meta package which references the 4.15 headers.
      Thank you for your attention. I hope they will fix this soon because virtualbox is my must-have on OMV :) Also OMV is my must-have already after migrating from Qnap.
    • New

I just submitted the bug report to Debian. Just have to wait now.

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=895819
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

• New

ryecoaaron wrote:

I just submitted the bug report to Debian. Just have to wait now.
      Do you have a link to your bug report in the debian tracker?

I encountered the same issue on Saturday, I've done an downgrade to the 4.14 kernel.

Is there anybody that can answer the following question:
      Is there an improvement for the ZFS Plugin with the newer backports kernel instead of the stable kernel?
      I would say no.

I was thinking about to use the stable kernel instead of the backports. I have no hardware issues with the stable kernel. Is there any side effects with OMV if I use the stable kernel?
    • New

tux1337 wrote:

Is there an improvement for the ZFS Plugin with the newer backports kernel instead of the stable kernel?
      No since the zfs code is not in the kernel. It may improve support on some hardware though.

tux1337 wrote:

I was thinking about to use the stable kernel instead of the backports. I have no hardware issues with the stable kernel. Is there any side effects with OMV if I use the stable kernel?
      Nope, it works fine. Just add OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS="NO" to /etc/default/openmediavault and then omv-mkconf apt. This will prevent the backports kernel from being installed. It won't remove it if it is currently installed though.

• New

I guess installing the meta package doesn't resolve dependencies properly but this will:

apt-get install -t stretch-backports linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

Updating to omv-extras 4.1.3 should eliminate the need to fix this manually.

• New

D.Wagner89 wrote:

I cannot install the kernel because it says "stetch-backports" isnt possible for Default release. Any idea?
      Please cut and paste what I wrote. You spelled stretch wrong.

D.Wagner89 wrote:

I did the update an my ZFS dont work anymore. Is my data lost?
      Nope. You just need to compile the zfs module for the new kernel. Then rebooting is the easiest way. You might have to import your pools. In the future, I wouldn't blindly install kernel updates especially when it is a new version.

• New

ryecoaaron wrote:

This could solve the problem of not installing Virtualbox. I also did an "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" and after reboot I could install Virtualbox without any problems
      OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Pentium G4600 Kaby Lake, 8GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 25GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 4x3TB WD Red's Snapraid w/ mergerfs, 2x DVB-S2 card DVBSky s952v3,

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Stretch with 4.15.x-Backports-Kernel (always up-to-date), OMV 4.1.x (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker, Downloader (via Docker), PlexMediaServer (via Docker), SMB-Shares, TVHeadendServer (unstable release/via Docker)

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2
    • New

@ryecoaaron

Thanks for omv-extras 4.1.3

linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 are installed now.

recompile of virtualbox with dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-dkms has still issues.

Display Spoiler

dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-dkms

-------- Uninstall Beginning --------
      Module: virtualbox
      Version: 5.1.30
      Kernel: 4.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (x86_64)
      -------------------------------------

Status: Before uninstall, this module version was ACTIVE on this kernel.

vboxdrv.ko:
      - Uninstallation
      - Deleting from: /lib/modules/4.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64/updates/dkms/
      - Original module
      - No original module was found for this module on this kernel.
      - Use the dkms install command to reinstall any previous module version.

vboxnetadp.ko:
      - Uninstallation
      - Original module

vboxnetflt.ko:
      - Uninstallation
      - Original module

vboxpci.ko:
      - Uninstallation
      - Original module

depmod...

DKMS: uninstall completed.

-------- Uninstall Beginning --------
      Module: virtualbox
      Version: 5.1.30
      Kernel: 4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 (x86_64)
      -------------------------------------

Status: Before uninstall, this module version was ACTIVE on this kernel.

vboxdrv.ko:
      - Uninstallation
      - Deleting from: /lib/modules/4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64/updates/dkms/
      - Original module

vboxnetadp.ko:
      - Uninstallation
      - Original module

vboxnetflt.ko:
      - Uninstallation
      - Original module

vboxpci.ko:
      - Uninstallation
      - Original module

depmod....

DKMS: uninstall completed.

------------------------------
      Deleting module version: 5.1.30
      completely from the DKMS tree.
      ------------------------------
      Done.
      Loading new virtualbox-5.1.30 DKMS files...
      Building for 4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
      Building initial module for 4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
      Done.

vboxdrv:
      Running module version sanity check.
      - Original module
      - No original module exists within this kernel
      - Installation
      - Installing to /lib/modules/4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64/updates/dkms/

vboxnetadp.ko:
      - Original module
      - Installation

vboxnetflt.ko:
      - Original module
      - Installation

vboxpci.ko:
      - Original module
      - Installation

depmod...

DKMS: install completed.
      Building initial module for 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
      Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (x86_64)
      Consult /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/make.log for more information.

/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/make.log

Display Spoiler

DKMS make.log for virtualbox-5.1.30 for kernel 4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (x86_64)
      Mo 16. Apr 21:49:40 CEST 2018
      make: Verzeichnis „/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64“ wird betreten
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrv.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrvGip.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrvSem.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/SUPDrvTracer.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/SUPLibAll.o
      /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/.tmp_SUPDrvTracer.o: warning: objtool: .text+0x7: indirect jump found in RETPOLINE build
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/alloc-r0drv.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/initterm-r0drv.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/memobj-r0drv.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/mpnotification-r0drv.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/powernotification-r0drv.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/assert-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/initterm-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/memuserkernel-r0drv-linux.o
      /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/.tmp_memuserkernel-r0drv-linux.o: warning: objtool: .fixup: unexpected end of section
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/mp-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/mpnotification-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/process-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/rtStrFormatKernelAddress-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/semevent-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/semeventmulti-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/semfastmutex-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/semmutex-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/spinlock-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/thread-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/thread2-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/threadctxhooks-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/time-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.o
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/generic/semspinmutex-r0drv-generic.o
      /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c: In function ‘VBoxHost_RTTimerCreateEx’:
      /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c:1588:13: error: implicit declaration of function ‘init_timer_pinned’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
      init_timer_pinned(&pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu].u.Std.LnxTimer);
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c:1592:52: error: ‘struct timer_list’ has no member named ‘data’
      pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu].u.Std.LnxTimer.data = (unsigned long)&pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu];
      ^
      /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.c:1593:65: error: assignment from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
      pTimer->aSubTimers[iCpu].u.Std.LnxTimer.function = rtTimerLinuxStdCallback;
      ^
      cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
      /usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-common/scripts/Makefile.build:329: die Regel für Ziel „/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.o“ scheiterte
      make[4]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv/r0drv/linux/timer-r0drv-linux.o] Fehler 1
      make[4]: *** Es wird auf noch nicht beendete Prozesse gewartet...
      /usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-common/scripts/Makefile.build:588: die Regel für Ziel „/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv“ scheiterte
      make[3]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build/vboxdrv] Fehler 2
      /usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-common/Makefile:1528: die Regel für Ziel „_module_/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build“ scheiterte
      make[2]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/5.1.30/build] Fehler 2
      Makefile:146: die Regel für Ziel „sub-make“ scheiterte
      make[1]: *** [sub-make] Fehler 2
      Makefile:8: die Regel für Ziel „all“ scheiterte
      make: *** [all] Fehler 2
      make: Verzeichnis „/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64“ wird verlassen

no way for virtualbox on kernel 4.15?
    • New

therab wrote:

no way for virtualbox on kernel 4.15?
      Not Virtualbox 5.1.30. I will have to try to build 5.2.8 from the buster repo. If it builds on stretch, the module should compile with the 4.15 kernel since that is the standard buster kernel.

• New

Well, I got the package compiled but it requires some changes to the plugin and phpvirtualbox package. Those changes will break backward compatibility. Need to think about what to do.

• New

ryecoaaron wrote:

D.Wagner89 wrote:

I cannot install the kernel because it says "stetch-backports" isnt possible for Default release. Any idea?
      Please cut and paste what I wrote. You spelled stretch wrong.

Here is the original output of the console

root@OMV:~# apt-get install -t stretch-backports linux-headers-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
      Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
      E: Der Wert »stretch-backports« ist für APT::Default-Release ungültig, da solch eine Veröffentlichung in den Paketquellen nicht verfügbar ist.

Translation should be

E: The value "stretch-backports" is for APT::Default-Release is invalid, since such a release is not available in the package-sources.

Also i updated my omv-extras to 4.1.3 without any success
      Same issue after reinstallation of openmediavault-zfs

openmediavault-zfs (4.0.2-1) wird eingerichtet ...
      modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
      dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten des Paketes openmediavault-zfs (--configure):
      Unterprozess installiertes post-installation-Skript gab den Fehlerwert 1 zurück
      Trigger für libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) werden verarbeitet ...
      Trigger für openmediavault (4.1.4-1) werden verarbeitet ...
      Restarting engine daemon ...
      Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
      openmediavault-zfs
      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

The post was edited 1 time, last by D.Wagner89 ().

• New

ryecoaaron wrote:

I guess installing the meta package doesn't resolve dependencies properly but this will:

Updating to omv-extras 4.1.3 should eliminate the need to fix this manually.
      It fixes problem with virtualbox installation, but not with ZFS plugin. When i try to install it via WebGui i just get "Completed..." message immediately after clicking "Install". And nothing else happens, zfs plugin is not available.
    • New

vonPaulus wrote:

It fixes problem with virtualbox installation, but not with ZFS plugin. When i try to install it via WebGui i just get "Completed..." message immediately after clicking "Install". And nothing else happens, zfs plugin is not available.
      You are correct that it doesn't compile the zfs module but it does fix the issue where the module won't compile. dpkg-reconfigure zfs-dkms

D.Wagner89 wrote:

If the headers aren't installed, the zfs issue can't be fixed. What is the output of grep -ir backport /etc/apt/*

• New

ryecoaaron wrote:

D.Wagner89 wrote:

If the headers aren't installed, the zfs issue can't be fixed. What is the output of grep -ir backport /etc/apt/*
      root@OMV:~# grep -ir backport /etc/apt/*
      /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove: "linux-backports-modules-.*";
      /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-kernels: "^linux-backports-modules-.*-4\.14\.0-0\.bpo\.3-amd64$";
      /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-kernels: "^linux-backports-modules-.*-4\.15\.0-0\.bpo\.2-amd64$";
      /etc/apt/preferences.d/omv-extras-org:Pin: release a=stretch-backports